Car Seat Guide: Evenflo SecureKid DLX Harnessed Booster
Choosing the right car seat for your child is one of the most difficult, but important, tasks one can do as a parent. With so many changing guidelines and an immense amount of products, it’s hard to know which one to pick- especially as your child grows. Once your child is in a convertible seat, the time will come when they are ready for a more “big girl or big boy seat.” But just because your child is ready to be forward facing does not necessarily mean they are ready for a full on booster with a seat belt yet. This is where the Evenflo SecureKid DLX Harnessed Booster fits in!
We are big advocates of Extended Rear Facing here at Daily Mom, but eventually your bigger kid will be ready to flip around and see the world! When that time comes, some kids are anxious to get that “bigger kid” seat, especially ones that have big brothers or sisters sitting in a regular booster seat. Before your child is ready for a full on seat belt, they still need to be buckled in a five-point harness to stay as safe as they can in the event of an accident.
Here’s what safety features we love best about the Evenflo SecureKid DLX Harnessed Booster:
- The best feature about this seat is the fact that it can be used as a harnessed booster or it can be used in conjunction with your car’s seat belt. It has the ability to properly fit children weighing anywhere from 22 lbs. all the way up to 110 lbs., which means that you’ll get a lot of use from this seat!
- The SecureKid DLX Harnessed Booster has been side impact tested and meets or exceeds all applicable federal safety standards and Evenflo’s side impact standards.
- It has been designed and tested for structural integrity at energy levels approximately 2X the federal crash test standard.
- It is certified for airline travel, which is great if you fly with your kids!
- This seat comes equipt with e3 Side Impact™ Protection which reduces side impact crash forces up to 50% with it’s unique three-layer energy absorbing materials.
Why not a seat belt yet?
Transitioning to using just a regular seat belt is not a decision that should be made lightly. A 5-point harness has five points of contact: shoulder, shoulder, hip, hip, crotch. A regular seatbelt in a booster is simply a positioning device designed to position the adult-sized seat belt over a child’s body. The biggest difference is that a five point harness is a restraint. When a harnessed carseat is properly tightened, it doesn’t allow the child freedom to move out of position. A traditional booster, in contrast, is a seatbelt positioning device. Seatbelts are designed to fit fully grown adults, which is why children who have outgrown a harnessed seat need a booster to correctly position the seatbelt over their small body. There’s no real evidence that shows that a 5 point harness is necessarily safer than a seat belt, if your child meets the size requirements of using it! The NHTSA recommends utilizing a 5 point harness until the child outgrows it. Also consider the maturity of the child though, since a regular seat belt comes with FAR more freedom than a 5-point harness. This is one reason we love the Evenflo SecureKid DLX Harnessed Booster, since it can grow with your child from harnessed to seat belt!
- The Evenflo SecureKid DLX Harnessed Booster is really easy to install! It comes equipped with Evenflo’s SureLatch® technology so you simply “Click, Click, Push” for a super-fast and super-snug installation in less than 60 seconds. The latch connectors also are retractable which makes it even easier to install and also store when not in use.
- If your car doesn’t support the LATCH system, this seat offers two addition methods of installation: hook tethers or a seatbelt.
- It’s simple to buckle and unbuckle, with a tight connection.
- It easily converts from a harnessed booster to a seat belt positioning seat and it has four shoulder harness positions, two crotch strap positions and an adjustable headrest, so it can really grow with your child.
- It has a machine-washable seat pad, which is always helpful with kids!
- It has a front adjustable harness, which makes adjusting the tightness quite simple.
- When your child is ready to use the seat belt feature, there are guides to help you know where to place the belt for optimal safety and they are colored red, so your child can easily learn too!
- It has that “big kid” seat feel while still accommodating younger riders.
- It sits upright more, which most older kids enjoy.
- It’s comfortable! With extra soft side and bottom padding, your child won’t mind cruising around town in this seat!
- Double cup holders! Your little passengers will love the ability to hold their snack, juice or small toy and it easily.
Evenflo SecureKid DLX Harnessed Booster Quick Facts
Child Requirements for using the 5-Point Harness:
- Weight: 22 – 65 lbs
- Height: 28 – 50 inches
- The tops of their ears are below the top of the child restraint headrest
Child Requirements for using the seat as a booster:
- Weight: 40 – 110 lbs
- Height: 43.3 – 57 inches
- The tops of their ears are below the top of the child restraint headrest.
- Age: At least four years of age
- Product Weight: 14 lbs.
- Maximum Shoulder Harness Height: 17 inches
- Minimum Shoulder Harness Height: 11.5 inches
- Dimensions: 26” High x 19” Wide x 21” Deep
Do you love the Evenflo SecureKid DLX Harnessed Booster as much as we do?
EXPLORE AND CONNECT
Be sure to check out some of the other car seats we love:
Photo Credits: Our Three Peas
Tags: backless booster, big kids, booster seat, car seat, discover, Evenflo, evenflo securekid dlx harnessed booster, extended rear-facing, forward facing, gear, harnessed booster, high back booster, kid products, preschoolers, rear facing, school-aged kids, seat belt
Trackback from your site.