How To Minimize Cell Phone Radiation Exposure
There are nearly 7 billion active mobile subscriptions worldwide right now. This enormous number of cellular devices makes up over 95% of the population across the globe. With rising numbers everyday, it is predicted that soon there will be more active cell phones in the world than there are people. Wrap your brain around that one for a second!
As the world becomes overwhelmed by cell phones, so does our exposure to potential radiation dangers. Although research has come up inconsistent and inconclusive, there are concerns that the non-ionizing radiation that cell phones emit could be a possible cancer-causing carcinogen.
The International Agency For Research on Cancer, American Cancer Society and the National Institute of Environmental Health and Sciences all agree that studies have raised some concerns and further investigation and research should be conducted, according to the National Cancer Institute.
But some organizations feel much more strongly about the dangers of non-ioznizing radiation. In 2011, after reviewing evidence from a study conducted by 31 scientists around the globe, the World Health Organization categorized non-ionizing radiation as a “carcinogen hazard” next to lead, engine exhaust, and chloroform.
“What microwave radiation does in most simplistic terms is similar to what happens to food in microwaves, essentially cooking the brain,” Black said. “So in addition to leading to a development of cancer and tumors, there could be a whole host of other effects like cognitive memory function, since the memory temporal lobes are where we hold our cell phones.” -Dr. Keith Black, chairman of neurology at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles
“The biggest problem we have is that we know most environmental factors take several decades of exposure before we really see the consequences,” Black said.
Like every great medical and physiological discovery, it could take years before research is conclusive one way or the other about the dangers of cell phone radiation exposure. So, what can you do in the meantime to ensure that you are “playing it safe” ?
Tips To Minimize Cell Phone Radiation:
- Keep your cell phone as far away from your body as possible when in use. The further away your device is, the further away the radio waves are. Keep your phone on speaker mode when possible while making and receiving calls or use a wireless Bluetooth device. (Interestingly enough, most cellular device owners’ manuals include specific safe distances in them, which insinuates that they acknowledge the concern of radiation effects and damage.)
- Turn your device off or move it away from your body when it is roaming for a signal. Roaming generates more radiation.
- Men should not drive with their phones on their laps or between their legs, carry their phones in their pants pockets for long periods of time or clip the phone to their belt. (Ten studies reviewed by the environmental working group showed significant concerns that cell phone radiation could be linked to low sperm count, damaged sperm and male reproductive issues.)
- Don’t sleep with your phone next to you in bed, or within close proximity to your head on your night stand.
- If you must carry your cell phone in your pocket, place it face out so that the antenna is directing waves away from your body. Also, alternate pockets frequently to avoid long term exposure to the same area on your body.
- Place a protective case on your phone designed to redirect radio waves away from your body.
If you must use your phone around your kids, or if they just love talking to Grandma or Grandpa on the phone, we recommend getting a phone case that minimizes exposure to radiation. We love Pong cases which not only reduce radiation but also boost cellphone signals. The Pong case works by redistributing radiation away from the phone and away from you via a built-in antenna. The case reduces exposure up to 82% below the FCC limit (for iPhone 5). (If you want to check out an independent test with full details and numbers by Wired magazine, click here.)
Pong cases are lightweight yet rugged and easy to put on. As soon as you snap it in to place, you’ve already started reducing exposure. Cases are available in classic and rugged, which can withstand drops up to 4′. And no matter what your mobile device of choice is–iPhone, Android, Blackberry–there’s likely a Pong case for you!
Cell Phone Radiation And Kids:
With little bodies and developing brains, cell phone radiation could potentially have an even greater effect on babies and young kids. While it might be cute (or even necessary sometimes) to let your children play with your cell phone, you could be exposing them to damaging radiation.
Tips To Minimize Cell Phone Radiation For Kids:
- Always keep your cell phone on airplane mode when your kids are playing with it.
- If they are using it to make calls or you use your phone a lot while holding them or sitting near them, use a protective case that redirects the radiation like the Pong Case mentioned above.
- Use a protective cover while breastfeeding your little ones if you use your cell phone during nursing sessions.
If you’re a pregnant or nursing mom and you use your cell phone a lot, it’s definitely a good idea to invest in some Belly Armor products. In the effort to enlighten people on the dangerous effects of cell phone radiation on children and fetuses, Belly Armor created a revolutionary line of products for mothers.
Lined with RadiaShield technology (a silver textile that has similar shielding ability to that of a 1/4 inch thick sheet of aluminum), the Belly Armor belly blankets, shirts and belly bands can be worn or draped over the belly during pregnancy to shield and protect your unborn child from up to 99.9% of harmful radiation omitted by cell phones and other devices.
All of the Belly Armor products are ultra-comfortable, machine washable and free of heavy metals and toxins in fabric and dyes.
After your baby is born, use the Belly Armor nursing cover to protect her out of the womb. You can breastfeed your little one while working on your computer or browsing Pinterest on your cell phone, all the while knowing you are not exposing her to harmful radiation.
While much more research needs to be conducted in order to truly understand the effects that non-ionizing radiation from cell phones has on the human body, one thing is certain. It is always best to err on the side of caution. By following these tips, you can reduce your potential risks.
Why You Need To Disconnect To Reconnect