31 Day Organization Challenge: House Edition: Finish Line
Read Introduction Post: 31 Day Organization Challenge: House Edition.
Read 31 Day Organization Challenge: House Edition: Week 1.
Read 31 Day Organization Challenge: House Edition: Week 2.
Read 31 Day Organization Challenge: House Edition: Week 3.
Read 31 Day Organization Challenge: House Edition: Week 4.
You’re officially at the finish line! Congratulations for making it through 31 days of time-consuming, ultra de-cluttering, daily aggravation, and organizing the mess out of your home. Whether you were fully committed to the task each day or just did a few areas that were bugging you, we appreciate you taking the time out of your busy lives to join us in making our homes happier, cleaner, and more peaceful.
We enjoyed seeing your photos on Instagram as well. There’s nothing like the camaraderie of women from all walks of life coming together for one united purpose. If you want to check out the IG photos from this challenge, follow us at @dailymomig and find #DM31dayOC.
There are three more days left in this month, and we aren’t giving you a break quite yet. It’s time to wrap up the Daily Mom 31 Day Organization Challenge: House Edition by tying up any loose ends around the house and talking about our goals for this new year.
Organization isn’t about perfection; it’s about efficiency, reducing stress and clutter, saving time and money, and improving your overall quality of life. – Christina Scalise
Day 1 – Finish Up
Today is the day to go back through any spaces that you weren’t able to completely finish during the last 4 weeks. Be sure you’ve found a proper home for every item you own. Gather together any bags or boxes that you need to dispose of or donate. Look around your home and be sure you’re proud of the work you’ve put into it. If there’s anything that needs a tweak, now’s the time to do it.
Day 2 – Goodwill/Trash Drop Offs
Make the time today to drop off any bags to Goodwill or another place you donate used items to. Take the trash bags to the dump or out to the curb. A common well-intentioned mistake that people make after all this purging is that the clutter is gone, but the bags of said clutter remain in the corner of each room for another year. Get rid of it once and for all. Today!
Day 3 – Make Organization Goals and RELAX!
Now you can kick up your feet with a glass of wine and relax a bit. But be sure to grab a pad of paper and a pen, because you have one more task to do today. In one month, you were able to do an intense de-clutter and organization of your whole house. That was hard, but maintaining what you’ve accomplished in the last month will be much harder. If you’re an organizer/de-clutterer by nature, and this was just another month of what you usually do, then great. You can probably pass on today. But, if this last month was tough stuff, if you’re a bit of a hoarder, or if organizing and getting rid of stuff is not in your personality, then today is for you. We’re going to give you some ideas and examples of organizational goals that you can adopt for 2015.
- The 1 For 1 Rule: If a piece of clothing comes into your closet, a piece of clothing goes out.
- Each season, go through your wardrobe and what doesn’t fit anymore or you no longer wear or like, get rid of it.
- For Toys: Twice a year (before birthdays and Christmas), do a thorough clean-out of all toys.
- Once a month, go through your fridge and pantry and dispose of appropriate items.
- Have a yard sale once a year.
- Every night, do a quick de-clutter in each room. Clear off the kitchen counters and clean dirty dishes. Wake up in the morning to a clean slate.
- Buy less things. Think quality, not quantity.
- If you take something out, put it back in its proper spot. Every time.
- Always be tweaking your spaces. Find better, more efficient ways to organize your things.
- When in doubt, contain it. Baskets, bins, and containers should be your best friends.
- Label everything.
- Regularly check out our Nest : Organization category for ongoing posts all about organizing.
If you have any home organizational goals that you know, love, and live by, please share them with us!
Thank you again for joining us in the 31 Day Organization Challenge: House Edition!
Finish line crossed. Well done.
Week 1 (Kitchen)
Week 2 (Living Room & Dining Room)
Week 3 (Bedrooms)
Week 4 (Bathrooms/Misc.)
Tags: clean home, clean house, DIY, easy, eco-friendly, finish line, goodwill, green, healthy, helpful mom resources, home, house, mommy tips, natural living, new year goals, new year resolution, organization, organization challenge, organization goals, organized home, organized house, organizing, organizing challenge, organizing goals, tips
Trackback from your site.