What better way to warm up on those cool fall days than with the addition of glowing golds, toasty reds and flushed oranges to your home decor? Keep the home as warm as those Pumpkin Spice Lattes with this easy DIY fall decoration.
Fall decorating doesn’t have to be time consuming or complex. In a couple hours these simple frills will be ready to adorn the home.
Fall Leaves on Canvas
- Elmer’s Glue
- Paint Brush
- 3 20cm x 20cm Canvas
- 1 Tube of Red Glitter
- 1 Tube of Gold Glitter
- 1 Tube of Orange Glitter
1. Pick a Leaf
There are two different options for what kind of leaf to use. There are many leaf templates available online. Simply print one off, cut it out, and trace it onto the canvas. The second and more eco-friendly option would be to pick one from a tree or from the ground and trace it onto the canvas.
2. Apply Glue
Take an old paint brush and paint a thin layer of glue on the canvas. Any type of liquid glue will work. Paint the glue on the inside of the leaf drawing.
3. Place Canvas in a Box
Before bringing the glitter out, place the canvas in a shallow box or on a tray. If neither of these are available, newspaper would work also. Clean up is easier when using a box or tray.
4. Gently sprinkle glitter over the glue
Use enough glitter to cover all of the glue, but there is no need to pour mounds of glitter onto the glue. This will just cause a mess.
5. Shake off excess glitter
Gently tap excess glitter off onto a smaller piece of paper. The smaller paper will make it easier to pour back into the tube.
6. Modge Podge
Once the glue completely dries, add a layer of Modge Podge. Use a paint brush to gently dab on the glitter. This will ensure glitter doesn’t end up all over the house. Don’t have Modge Podge? Another option is to water down glue with equal parts glue to water.
7. Repeat steps 1-6
Use different colors of glitter to add more depth to the project.
8. Clean up!
No matter what, there will be glitter sprinkled around the area. Handheld vacuums make clean up a breeze. For any left over glitter, lint rollers make the perfect glitter clean up tool. If there isn’t a lint roller available, turn tape inside out and dab on the glitter.
While out on those amazing fall walks, keep your eye out for buckeyes. They make the perfect fall decoration. Simply put them all in a bowl, scatter them on the table, or spice them up with a little glitter.
Place a small amount of glue on the lighter circle of the buckeye and sprinkle a little glitter on the glue. Follow the same steps as listed above and the end result is a beautiful sparkly fall accent.
Tips For Working With Glitter
1. Always sprinkle glitter over a box, lid, or tray. The raised edges will help prevent the spread of glitter.
2. When children are helping it is sometimes easier and cleaner to mix glitter into the glue and then paint it onto the project.
3. Always apply one or two coats of a glue-water mix or decoupage after glitter has been applied to a project. This ensures the glitter stays in place. The other option would be to use a clear spray sealant. Holding the can 6-8 inches away from the glitter, spray 2-3 light coats. Always spray sealant outside.
4. To be extra cautious to not spread glitter all over the house, immediately vacuum the area. Be sure to shake clothing off outside; getting glitter on your clothes is inevitable. Once all clothing has been shaken off, go over them with a lint roller to collect any extra.
Love fall decorations? Check out more fall decorating ideas on Daily Mom!
Photo credits: Kasey Turnbull