Scrumptious Thanksgiving Starters
Start Thanksgiving dinner off this year with Daily Mom’s scrumptious Thanksgiving starters! These savory rolls and unique twists on salad are sure to make your family and friends thankful this holiday season!
Parker House Rolls
- 3 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Package Dry Active Yeast
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a large bowl combine flour and yeast.
- In a saucepan, heat milk, sugar, and butter until it feels warm to the touch. Butter should be mostly melted.
- Add to flour and yeast.
- Add egg.
- Beat using a mixer until mostly combined, using your hands or a wooden spoon to mix in any remaining flour.
- Knead dough on floured surface until stiff.
- Place into a greased bowl, being sure to also grease the top of the dough and leave to rise until double its size. This will take 1-2 hours depending on how warm your house is.
- Punch dough down, cut in half and let rise for another 10 minutes
- Make dough into balls about 2 inches across and press flat. (Alternately you could roll dough out and use about a 3 inch diameter biscuit cutter for perfect dough rounds).
- Using the back side of a knife make an indentation in the middle of each round. Fold in half and place on a baking sheet. (You could also place these rolls seam side up in a cake pan or deep baking dish and bake them like pull apart rolls).
- Brush tops of rolls with melted butter if you desire.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned on the tops.
Italian Chicken Cutlet Salad
- 1 cup baked eggplant, sliced into small strips
- 1 cup breaded cooked chicken, sliced into small strips
- 3/4 cup provolone cheese
- 1 sliced tomato
- 1/2 of a thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 6 cups of romaine lettuce
Toss lettuce, eggplant, tomato, olives, onions and cheese together. Serve with balsamic vinaigrette.
Waldorf Winter Salad
- 1 cored and thinly sliced apple
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup honey roasted walnuts
- 2 peeled mandarin oranges
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh figs
- 6 cups of spring mix
Toss spring mix together, feta cheese, dried cranberries and mandarin oranges. Top with apples, honey roasted walnuts and figs. Serve with raspberry vinaigrette.
- 1 thinly sliced avocado
- 1 cup breaded eggplant
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup tortilla strips
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 6 cups of romaine lettuce
Toss lettuce, tomato, corn and black beans in a serving bowl. Garnish with tortilla strips and cheese. Serve with buttermilk ranch dressing.
Moms! Looking for a way to keep your little helpers busy while you prepare Thanksgiving starters? Check out One Step Ahead’s Kid’s Reusable Shopping Bag with Fruits and Veggies! Your son or daughter will feel right at home in the kitchen playing with these 18 pieces of play food.
Want more mouth watering and creative Thanksgiving ideas?
Tags: baked rolls, Baking, daily mom, family, healthy salad, helpful mom resources, home made rolls, hot rolls, mom tips, parker house rolls, rolls, salad, salad with avocado, salad with eggplant, salad with figs, thanksgiving dinner, thanksgiving first course, thanksgiving food, thanksgiving starters
Erin, aka “Mommy” to a 5, 3 and 1 year old, is an adjunct professor, amateur photographer and sci-fi junkie, mostly in that order! She lives in northeast New Jersey with her much adored husband, kiddos and strange looking but loveable hairless cat and revels in baking pureed vegetables into muffins to trick her children into eating (and liking) them. You can find her capturing the beautiful moments of her life’s chaos and calm on Instagram and Twitter.