Demystifying Prenatal Vitamins
When you are trying to conceive and when you are pregnant, you have a lot of important decisions to make. You will also have a lot of opinions thrown your way whether you want them or not, so you’ll have to sort out what is helpful and what isn’t. One of the first things to think about even before you are pregnant is which prenatal vitamins to take, but with so many options on the market, how do you choose what is right for you? Decisions you make when trying to conceive and when you are pregnant are actually your first parenting decisions, and with a baby in your future, you want to start off right. You can totally nail the decision about prenatal vitamins if you focus on quality, research, and what is important to you.
Why Prenatal Vitamins Matter
Of course you still need to eat a healthy diet and make good choices when trying to conceive, when you are pregnant, and when you are nursing, but you still need a high quality prenatal vitamin to fill in the gaps. For example, the recommended level of folic acid that helps prevent neural tube birth defects is close to impossible to get from food alone. Neural tubes develop in the first 28 days of pregnancy, making it crucial to take a vitamin with 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid daily BEFORE becoming pregnant. Prenatal vitamins matter because research has shown what nutrients are key to a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby, and we know that getting these nutrients through diet alone is incredibly difficult. You can be confident that you are getting the recommended amount of vitamins and nutrients when you take a prenatal vitamin.
The Stuff That Matters
When you think about which prenatal vitamin to take, focus on what matters: the key ingredients in the supplement and the science that supports them. You need to find what is going to work best for you, despite recommendations from friends, what might be on sale, or a brand’s popularity. Here are the factors that matter most when it comes to prenatal vitamins:
- First and foremost, clinical research matters. You don’t need gimmicks. You need proven ingredients that do what they say they will do.
- A good prenatal vitamin should have all the key ingredients necessary to prepare your body for pregnancy and to support a healthy baby. Some of these key ingredients include:
- Folic Acid – This B-vitamin helps prevent neural tube defects, which develop just 28 days after conception. This is why it is important to take your prenatal vitamin when you are trying to conceive, before you even know you’re pregnant.
- Vitamin D – This vitamin supports bone development and prevents preterm labor. A deficiency of Vitamin D is connected to preeclampsia.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C supports collagen production, which is part of our bones and skin.
- Choline – This vitamin is crucial for brain development, and not all prenatal vitamins have this ingredient.
- Vitamin K-2 – This works with Vitamin D and calcium to support prenatal skeleton development.
- Iron – You and baby need iron to move oxygen through your blood.
- You need vitamins that won’t upset your stomach. Being pregnant can make you nauseous enough so don’t make the mistake of taking a vitamin that makes nausea worse. Make sure that your vitamin is fermented so that it’s easier to digest.
- Prenatal vitamins should be free of extra junk. You want high quality ingredients without unnecessary fillers, preservatives, or colors.
- Think about how you’ll take your vitamins — convenience matters. Are you good at remembering to go to the store to replace your vitamins? You don’t want to miss a single day when you are TTC or pregnant, so picking a prenatal that you won’t forget is key. Getting your vitamins delivered takes a step out of the process, so you don’t forget to replace them.
Personalize Your Prenatal Vitamins
All women are different. Every pregnancy affects your body differently. What works for one mama might not be the best for another. If we are all unique women experiencing a one-of-a-kind pregnancy, why would we walk into a drug store and grab a random bottle of vitamins off the shelf? Shouldn’t we get exactly what our individual bodies and our babies need? Can we have it all in a convenient package?
Care/of is a company offering personalized vitamins and supplements. You answer a handful of questions about yourself, and Care/of puts together a monthly supply of vitamins personalized for your specific concerns and needs.
We love how transparent this company is when it comes to their products. There is no fine print to decipher. Everything in their supplements is on the label, and there isn’t anything in a supplement that doesn’t need to be there. You know exactly what is in your vitamin regimen. Care/of even makes it easy to know how much research supports the effectiveness of the vitamin or supplement you are taking. Each product is honestly given a ranking when it comes to research. You can quickly tell if a vitamin is based on very strong research or if it is a newer product with mixed or emerging research. Their scientific advisory board, made up of leading doctors, scientists, and nutritionists, keeps up with the latest research and develops products to ensure that their customers get the best vitamin regimen based on their needs.
Care/of’s Prenatal vitamin is backed by research and is recommended by Care/of’s expert doctors, scientists, and nutritionists. Their prenatal vitamin contains 22 nutrients critical for a baby’s health. And, they do more than provide you with 22 nutrients: Care/of makes sure the nutrients can be used efficiently by your body. This means you are less likely to feel nauseous from this vitamin. Care/of’s prenatal vitamin is easy to digest because the vitamins are fermented with organic yeast and foods and probiotics, making them resemble vitamins in their food-based form. The Care/of Prenatal vitamin is also non-GMO, vegetarian, and gluten free.
Besides great quality, it’s really easy to remember to take Care/of’s Prenatal vitamin. You get one month of vitamins at a time delivered to you, and your vitamins are prepackaged for each day. There’s no guesswork or waiting at the pharmacy; you just open your daily pack and take what’s inside. Your high-quality, effective prenatal vitamins arrive at your doorstep. For the absolute best in prenatal nutrition, Care/of recommends supplementing their Prenatal vitamin with other vitamins such as their Calcium Plus, Fish Oil, or Probiotic Blend.
Make the choice that is best for you when it comes to trying to conceive, pregnancy, and nursing. Find a prenatal vitamin that is honest, effective, convenient, and saves you money. Start your new life as a parent off on the right foot by making a choice that you can feel confident about.
Photo Credits: Care Of
Sources: Pregnancy and Prenatal Vitamins, Pregnancy and Vitamin D, Thiamin in Your Pregnancy Diet, Riboflavin in Your Pregnancy Diet, Is B12 as Crucial as Folic Acid During Pregnancy?, Zinc in Your Pregnancy Diet
Tags: care of prenatal vitamin, care of supplement, care of vitamins, care/of, choosing a prenatal vitamin, personalized multivitamin, personalized prenatal vitamins, personalized vitamin service, prenatal vitamin, prenatal vitamins, requirements of a prenatal vitamin, save money on prenatal vitamin, supplements during pregnancy, the best prenatal vitamin, the best prenatal vitamins, vitamin delivery, vitamins when ttc, vitamins when you are pregnant
Trackback from your site.
Kristen lives in Alabama with her handsome hubby and sweet son. Happily, she left behind the life of a Washington D.C. attorney to be a stay at home mama in the south. Her days are filled with writing, photography, and dance parties with her son. On a mission to use her life to love God and love others, you will also find her fiercely working on the many causes near and dear to her heart. She gets it all done thanks to Jesus, chai tea, dark chocolate, and wine.