Preparing for Baby: Registry and baby shower tips to get you started
This is a sponsored post written by us on behalf of Gymboree. All opinions are 100% ours.
Pregnancy is an exciting time. Not only are you looking forward to the arrival of your baby, but shopping for all of the incredibly cute baby gear only adds to this excitement as you picture your new little one wearing the trendiest fashions or swaying side to side in the most up-to-date baby swing. If you’re an old pro already, you have probably noticed that baby gear and fashion has changed drastically in just a few short years. If you’re a new mom, you lucked out in entering into THE age of advanced technology and the push to make raising children not only easier, but a lot of fun! It seems that the market for baby products has become one of the hottest in recent years, and as moms, we aren’t complaining! Give me all. the. stuff.
Getting Ready for Parenthood
Getting ready for parenthood can be daunting. You read all of the books, listen to your doctor, and try to take into account everyone’s unsolicited advice, but no matter how much you try to learn before the arrival of your baby, nothing can ever really prepare you for parenthood. It’s more of a learn-as-you-go kind of thing – and once you realize that your child is like no other, your parenting style will most likely need to adjust. But, you can prepare yourself and your home to make this lifestyle adjustment a bit easier.
Things to consider when preparing for parenthood:
- The first few months are hard. Be prepared to be continuously exhausted and (somewhat) dirty. Sleeping and showers go hand in hand. For the few moments you have to yourself, you will ultimately have to choose between sleep or a shower. Most likely, you are going to choose sleep, therefore, we suggest you stock up on a good dry shampoo and deodorant. No, really. Always choose sleep.
- Loving your body is going to be an adjustment. Buy a good few pairs of comfortable lounge pants and nursing tops. Don’t even bother with jeans for the first few weeks, at least. Your body will thank you for soft cotton and stretchy waistbands. Learn to embrace it and love your body, and know that it does take time for things to return to their new normal – after all, it did take a whopping 9 months to create life. Give yourself a break!
- Learn to embrace help. Cleaning your home will not be on the top of your to-do list when you finally get some free time. Consider hiring a house cleaner for the first few months (hint: this is a great baby shower gift!). If cooking seems like a chore, don’t be ashamed to take meals from friends or use your time during pregnancy to create freezer meals that can easily be placed in the crock pot.
- Reorganize your house. Make your home sufficient for your new role. Set up baby gear in each room that you spend the most time in. A swing in the living room, a bouncer in the kitchen, a bassinet next to the bed, and an infant lounger in the bathroom for more peaceful showers can all help greatly as you move throughout the house during the day. Don’t hassle with carrying products up and down stairs, or from room to room. You will have your arms full as is.
What’s on top of our list of baby must-haves
With all of the advances in baby gear in recent years, walking into any baby store can be somewhat overwhelming. Things you didn’t even know you needed are suddenly staring at you with words like, “Voted best baby product by parents!” Where does an expectant mother even begin without suddenly breaking out into a sweat and rethinking their entire registry? Thankfully lists of must-have registry items written by veteran parents can be found all over Pinterest, but we have also created a list of our TOP must-have products to welcome your new addition!
- An infant swing like no other. We love the 4moms mamaRoo. This amazing contraption sways side to side and bounces up and down, just like mom.
- The car seat and stroller combo that makes life so much easier, like the Doona Infant Car Seat Stroller.
- A video monitor that also monitors your baby’s critical movements, such as the Angelcare Baby Movement Monitor.
- A bedside bassinet that makes co-sleeping safe, like the Halo Bassinest.
- A bouncer or infant lounger like the Rock N’ Play by Fisher Price. This amazing piece is a must for steady, hands-free rocking.
- A snot sucker, and not just the free hospital ones. Our top pick is the Fridababy Nosefrida: an inexpensive but crucial new baby product to keep by your side. Trust us.
- Muslin swaddles and blankets, such as Aden + Anais: breathable, soft, and absolutely adorable.
- Comfortable, soft, trendy, and easy to wash baby clothing, like Gymboree.
Our favorite baby shower items
Besides all of our top picks listed above, there are a few unique things any mom would love to receive at her baby shower.
- Gift cards – yes, they aren’t as fun to give, but a gift card is much appreciated when a new box of diapers is needed, an expensive baby item has yet to be purchased, or mom simply needs a caffeinated pick-me-up. Gift cards to Amazon, Target, and Starbucks top our list of great gifts!
- Meal Train – So this may not be listed on the top of a baby shower registry list, but no new mom will ever turn away a consistent train of fresh meals, delivered nightly to their door. Setting up a meal train amongst friends and family is an inexpensive, but much appreciated, baby shower gift. If a meal train isn’t possible, a week’s subscription to a meal delivery service such as Hello Fresh is also a great idea!
- House Maid – We mentioned this before, but we’ll mention it again because it’s the baby gift that keeps on giving. New moms will rejoice knowing that they can relax for just a bit one week while someone else does the deep cleaning.
- Clothing – You are going to receive an abundant amount of clothing for your baby shower. People love to buy tiny little human clothing because let’s be real, it is the absolute cutest. New moms and veteran moms everywhere know that it’s a lot more fun to shop for their children than it is to shop for themselves. When creating your baby shower list, don’t be afraid to be specific about which brands you love! Guide your family and friends to follow your fashion ideals and encourage them to purchase clothing that will surely be worn (because that’s not always the case). We love everything that Gymboree has to offer when it comes to newborn clothing and beyond.
For a great selection in baby clothing that mixes and matches, wears well, and is incredibly soft against the skin, we turn to Gymboree. Their Newborn Essentials Collection, which spans from newborn to size 12-18 months, covers all of your basic baby needs. From stretchy baby pants, matching onesies with fun prints, and adorable sweaters for easy layering, Gymboree ensures that baby is dressed well at all times.
For a growing infant, we love the ease of the Sweet Mint Geo Pants, featuring a beautiful geometric design. The Baby Ivory Lion Bodysuit, featuring an adorable lion with matching bow tie, pairs well with the ever-so-soft sweater Sweet Mint Cub Hoodie. High quality craftsmanship and design keeps the clothing looking good, even through a lot of wear and washing.
For easy night to day outfits, we also love Gymboree’s Party Pals 1-Piece, showcasing once again an adorable animal print that matches the lion onesie we couldn’t get enough of.
This adorable one piece has open feet, perfect for adding Gymboree’s matching White Lion & Geo Socks and shoes during the day. An attached hood with little animal ears and durable, thick fabric makes this piece a quick favorite.
Veteran moms will also love Gymboree’s clothing for boys and girls with their unique themes and fun designs. Siblings often get left out of the mix when mom is expecting a new baby, so a little something extra for the soon-to-be big brothers and sisters can also be a fun gift idea.
The girls Tails of the City Collection features street-cool fashions with adorable cat accents in a playful and colorful aesthetic.
The Quilted Cat Pullover is an adorably cute and sophisticated sweatshirt for everyday school wear or play wear. Paired with matching Cat Knee Jeans, in a relaxed fit with rolled cuffs, the entire outfit makes a fun, yet subtle, style statement.
Complete the outfit with every little girl’s favorite Sparkle Cat Flats! These flats add a bit of flair to any outfit.
For boys, fall isn’t fall without football! Gymboree created the perfect on-trend Quarterback Cool outfit for toddler boys, featuring a classic Rocket Ball Tee, matching Sporty Plaid Shirt, and on-trend Denim Joggers.
We paired our Quarterback Cool outfit with Gymboree’s boys High Top Sneakers in a classic slate grey.
Baby’s First Bundle Sweepstakes
Do you have a baby on the way? Gymboree has teamed up with some amazing brands to give away the ULTIMATE bundle of must-haves for baby! We’re talking over $2,000 in prizes! Enter HERE for your chance to win! Sweepstakes ends Oct. 1st, so be sure to enter now!
Sweet Mint Geo Pants | Baby Ivory Lion Bodysuit | Sweet Mint Cub Hoodie | Party Pals 1-Piece | White Lion & Geo Socks | Quilted Cat Pullover | Cat Knee Jeans | Sparkle Cat Flats | Rocket Ball Tee | Sporty Plaid Shirt | Denim Joggers | High Top Sneakers
EXPLORE AND CONNECT
What must have items are on your registry list? We hope you included Gymboree’s Newborn Essentials Collection! Comment here with your favorite must-haves for baby’s first few months of life! We’re interested to know what got you through those incredible, yet exhausting and emotional, early days!
Photo Credits: Stephanie
Tags: #GymboreeStyle, Animal Print baby apparel, baby apparel, baby registry, baby registry essentials, baby shower, baby shower gifts, Baby Shower Tips, clothing for baby, Enter to Win, giveaway, Gymboree, Gymboree Baby's First Bundle Sweepstakes, Gymboree Newborn Essentials, Gymboree Style, Newborn clothing, Newborn clothing sets, newborn essentials, registry, Shop with Gymboree, sweepstakes, unique baby shower gifts
Trackback from your site.
Stephanie is a military wife, currently residing in New York, and mama of two exceptionally curious kiddos – a rugged pint-size princess and a toddling Evel Knievel-in-training – and one sweet, easy going baby boy. When she isn’t exploring the family’s newest dwellings, running trails, farmers’ markets, and playgrounds, she spends her down time working from home, feverishly correcting “textspeak” in her college students’ essays as an adjunct English instructor for a local community college. Her passion for writing and photography can be found at Stephanie High Photography on facebook