Fight Off Germs: Elderberry Syrup & Gummy Bear Recipes
It’s that time of year where the illnesses start spreading like wildfire! We are bringing you a simple, natural and effective way to help ward off those nasty germs. We are even adding in a flu busting gummy bear treat. Black elderberries have been shown to prevent the flu and cold and speed up the recovery time in those who are already under the weather. It can be a little pricey to buy so fortunately we have you covered with 2 simple and awesome homemade recipes for the syrup and some great gummy bear treats.
Elderberry is a shrub that produces large clusters of small, dark berries, and has been used for centuries as a medicinal herb. Black elder, is the most commonly used of the 30 species of elderberry and offers many potential health benefits. Elderberry possesses among the highest levels of antioxidants of all berries and small fruits. They are a rich source of vitamins A and C, which are crucial in helping the body fight disease and maintain optimal health. The bioflavonoids found in elderberry syrup boost your body’s immune system by increasing antioxidant levels. Not only does this superfruit stimulate the immune system, but it also directly inhibits the influenza virus. It has been found to halt the spread of the virus by disarming the enzyme responsible for attacking the cell walls. Just a small daily dose can assist you in preventing both acute and chronic disease. This berries ability to reduce mucous secretions and fight swelling of your respiratory passages can decrease the fighting time of an already existing illness along with making it a little more bearable.
Extra Immune Boosting Tip
Give the elderberry syrup to the kids mixed with fermented cod liver oil! This supplement has amazing health benefits and immune boosting properties but it doesn’t have the most pleasant flavor. Mixing it with your fresh elderberry syrup is a great way for you, and your kids to get a daily dose of wellness in! Here are just a few of the benefits of cod liver oil.
- provides fat soluble vitamins A and D
- provides elongated Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA
- helps promote the absorption of calcium and magnesium
- can increase bone mineral density
- provides accelerated wound healing
Elderberry Syrup Recipe
- Combine all ingredients (EXCEPT HONEY) into a pot and place on the stove top
- Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour until the liquid has reduced by almost half.
- Remove from heat and let cool just enough to be handled.
- Pour through a strainer into a glass jar or bowl.
- When the liquid is lukewarm add 1 cup of honey and stir well.
- Once honey is well mixed into the elderberry mixture, pour the syrup into a pint-sized mason jar or glass bottle of some kind.
- Store in the fridge and take daily for its immune boosting properties.
Elderberry Gummy Bears
Have you ever looked at the ingredients list on a pack of gummy bears? Unfortunately, most are packed full of high fructose corn syrup, artificial dyes and flavors, and gelatin.
These gummies are a nutritional powerhouse with no added chemicals in sight!
What is Gelatin?
Gelatine may conjure up images of chemical and dye filled jiggly jello. Unfortunately the gelatin used in these snack give this water-soluble protein a bad name. It is a poor quality, mystery of ground up animal parts. Gelatin acts as a thickening agent, however and is essential to this recipe. When you choose a high quality Gelatin from pasture raised animals that have not treated with hormones and antibiotics there are great health benefits. <e,>The collagen and amino acids found in gelatin help to regulate our metabolisms, have anti-inflammatory properties, strengthen our hair and nails and help to regulate hormones. They also can help your body fight off infections.
- Add ingredients into a small sauce pan, using a whisk combine until there are no visible lumps and mixture seems even.
- Turn stove to the lowest setting and keep whisking until mixture is completely melted and warm to the touch. Do not overheat or you can destroy the beneficial properties of the honey.
- Transfer to a pan or silicone molds!
- Pop in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Gummies will remain solid even at room temperature.
It is miserable watching your child be sick, and equally as miserable struggling to take care of your daily responsibilities when you are sick. Eating a healthy diet, being sure you are getting all your vitamins, taking elderberry syrup, exercising and stocking up on bone broth are just some things you can to help ward off the illnesses in your family this year! Keep your eye out on Daily Mom for more articles on how to have a flu free winter!
Tags: antioxidants, children's wellness, cod liver oil, cold, elderberry, elderberry gummy bears, elderberry syrup, fevers, fighting colds, fighting flu, flu, flu season, gummy bears, healthy gummy bears, Immune System, sick, sick kids
Trackback from your site.