Looking for a way to help boost your breast milk supply? Sure, there are herbs and teas you can try, but wouldn’t it be awesome if eating cookies could make you more milk? Well, they can! Packed full of healthy ingredients that are shown to increase breast milk production, these yummy cookies will not only make you smile, but will keep your baby happy and satisfied as well.
What makes these cookies so special? They contain three ingredients that are galactagogues: a substance that increases lactation.
- Oats contain iron, fiber, and healthy calories, all of which nursing moms need and which aid in increasing milk supply. Go ahead and start eating a bowl of oatmeal each morning too!
- Brewer’s Yeast contains loads of natural B vitamins which are crucial to the health of lactating women. Another benefit is the boost of energy brewer’s yeast consumption will give you, and don’t all moms need some extra energy? This is also where the age-old recommendation of drinking a beer to increase your milk supply comes from. Deep, hearty beers contain a form of this yeast. So, crack open a cold one and watch your milk flow!
- Flax Seed contains fiber and lots of omega-3s which are important for moms who are breastfeeding. Omega-3s improve your milk quality and quantity, and are super important in brain development for your baby and yourself!
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 TSP baking soda
- 1 TSP cinnamon
- 1 TSP salt
- ¾ cup almond butter or peanut butter
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 TSP vanilla
- 3 TBSP brewer’s yeast
- 1 cup milled flax seed
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped nuts of your choice
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 ¾ cup whole oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat almond butter, butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, brewer’s yeast, flax seed, and water until creamy.
- Mix in eggs.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Mix in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Add oats slowly, mixing along the way.
- Place balls of dough onto greased baking sheet. Press down each ball lightly with a fork.
- Bake 12 minutes. Enjoy!
Don’t hog all the cookies, Mom! These are perfect for sharing with your kids and husband too. Just don’t tell them the name of the cookie, and you’re good to go. Lactation cookies are also great to make and give as a gift to a new mom. She’s got more than enough newborn clothes, but you can never have enough cookies. Not only will they help her if she’s nursing, they are sure to bring a little sweetness to her busy day!
For more nutritious ways on how to amp up your milk production, check out Increase Your Milk Supply at Breakfast!