Spelt Berry Salad : The Perfect Side To Any Meal
Are you tired of the same old boring side dishes at dinner time? A person can only eat so much rice and potatoes! If you’re looking for a fun, new side dish that’s not only tasty but packed full of nutrients, you’ll definitely want to try Spelt Berry Salad.
Spelt Berries are an often overlooked grain with so many nutritional benefits. Packed full of protein and fiber, their rich, nutty flavor adds a great textured element to any dish they are included in. Spelt Berry Salad can be served cold or warm, and makes the perfect side to everything from a hot chicken dinner to a cold cut sandwich at lunch time.
- 1 cup of whole, uncooked spelt berries
- 1/2 cup of diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup of diced carrots
- 2 T of chopped chives
- 1/8 cup of finely diced red onions
- 5 T of lemon juice
- 4 T of extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- Ritz crackers and soft goat cheese (optional)
- If you have adequate prep time, soak the spelt berries in a pot overnight, and then boil for 30-40 minutes to cook them thoroughly. If you don’t have enough time to soak them overnight, simply boil for 80-90 minutes. Once cooked, strain in a colander and let cool.
- Once your spelt berries are cool, add in vegetables, olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Mix thoroughly.
While it tastes great freshly made, this salad is best made the day before you plan on serving it. Let it chill in the fridge overnight, and eat alone or serve on Ritz crackers with soft goat cheese.
Photo credit: With A Red Bird On My Shoulder
Trackback from your site.