The Ultimate Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers
As summer draws to an end, you might find yourself with an abundance of vegetables from your backyard garden. What are you going to do with all of those juicy green peppers you just harvested? Make the ULTIMATE slow cooker stuffed peppers! Warning: This recipe is not for those whose taste buds err on the side of caution!
- 4 large green peppers ( you can also add a few small yellow peppers for a contrasting flavor. The green peppers will have a slightly bitter taste, while the yellow peppers will be sweet and hot)
- 1 cup of cooked white rice
- 1.5 lbs of ground beef or bison
- 1/4 of a ring of spicy pepperoni, cubed
- 3/4 of a brick of pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 large can of organic diced tomatoes
- 1-2 large cans of organic condensed tomato soup
- the following spices to taste: garlic powder, Italian seasoning, crushed red peppers, salt and pepper
- Tapatio hot sauce (to taste)
- Since the rice will take the longest, cook it while you prep the rest of your ingredients.
- Cut the tops off of your peppers in a circle, as if you were cutting the lid off of a jack-o-lantern. Remove all seeds inside.
- Brown the ground beef or bison in a large skillet with tall sides.
Slowly add in the cheese, pepperoni, half of the can of diced tomatoes and spices. Let simmer.
Once the rice is cooked, add it into the skillet. Mix everything well. Let simmer for a few minutes.
Coat the bottom of the slow cooker with a thick layer of condensed tomato soup. Pour a thick layer inside each one of your peppers as well.
Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture from the skillet. Place peppers standing upright in the slow cooker.
Pour the remaining stuffing, diced tomatoes and condensed tomato soup into the slow cooker, all around and on top of the peppers.
Cook on low for approximately 5-6 hours. (The longer you cook them, the softer the peppers will be.)
Enjoy these savory peppers alone or spread onto bread.
Photo credit: With A Red Bird On My Shoulder
Tags: cooked peppers, cooking with spices, crock pot, dinner ideas, family dinner ideas, family dinners, family meals, green peppers, hearty dinners, slow cooker, slow cooker dinner slow cooker stuffed peppers, slow cooker meals, spicy meals, stuffed peppers
Trackback from your site.
Danielle is a Pittsburgh native who has been warming her “black and gold” blood in sunny Northern California for the past 6 years. On any given day, you can find her arranging ridiculous photo shoots of her one-year-old son Graeme and cat Gizmo, or working on any one of her 27,000 writing projects. She enjoys daydreaming about becoming a famous actress and starting a handful of different businesses with her husband over glasses of wine in the evenings. Someday, she hopes to travel the country in an RV with her family… but she needs to sell that novel first. You can follow her journeys through her blog With A Red Bird On My Shoulder