5 tips for At-Home Root Touch Up
One of the great things about coloring your own hair with at-home coloring systems is that some of those systems offer a root touch up system. We all know that after a few weeks your roots start peeking through, but instead of having to color your hair again so soon, you’re able to just touch up the roots. There are a few steps to touching up your roots that you should follow in order to get optimal results.
Using at-home Root Touch-up Systems
Finding the Right Shade
When determining the best root touch-up shade to match your current color, you should do your homework. Clairol’s Nice ‘n Easy hair color has a matching shade on the side of their box. This matching panel shows you what hair colors the shade works with. It covers other at-home hair color brands and even works with salon color! Clairol’s Color Director, James Corbett, recommends Clairol’s Nice ‘n Easy Root Touch-upto his salon clientele and they find it easy to use, especially when traveling for a long period of time. Here are some steps to finding the perfect root touch-up shade:
Whenever you’re coloring your hair with an at-home coloring system, it’s important to do a bit of prep beforehand to ensure the coloring process goes smoothly. Check out some of the prep steps below:
- Detangle your hair with a detangling brush to ensure your hair is ready to be parted.
- Cover yourself with an old towel or cape across your shoulders and around your neck.
- Determine where your regrowth starts and stops.
- Use a tall comb to carefully divide your hair into sections. This allows you to work with clean sections, which in turn helps you to avoid patches or missed spots.
Mix the Nice ‘n Easy Root Touch-up Color
Some may feel that mixing the root touch-up color is pretty simple, but it’s important to follow the steps below to ensure the color is mixed well and that the two components are completely blended.
- Put on the expert colorist gloves that were provided with your Nice ‘n Easy Root Touch-up system.
- Place the mixing tray on a flat and stable surface to ensure that it won’t tip over when you mix the color.
- Unscrew the cap of the permanent hair color crème. (Note: Conduct a skin allergy test 24 hours before applying color to your hair to ensure that you are not going to have a reaction.)
- Empty contents into the mixing tray and empty the contents of the color activating lotion bottle into the mixing tray.
- Use provided brush to thoroughly mix contents and make sure they are completely blended.
Apply the Color
When coloring your hair, whether an all over color or when touching up your roots, there are a few steps to follow to ensure your hair is colored to the best of your ability. It’s a slightly more complicated process when coloring your roots versus your entire head of hair. Here are some steps:
- Using the expert control brush, apply the color at the hairline of the sections into which you divided your hair.
- Apply the color around the face, part, and at the temples.
- Make sure that you saturate your visible roots with the color.
- Use a baby wipe or wet wash cloth to remove excess color on your forehead or temple areas.
- Once you’ve touched up the exposed roots, let the color sit for 10 minutes. (Note: If you have stubborn grays, it may be best to leave the color in for 15 minutes.)
Once the color has been applied and set for the appropriate time, the finishing touches are the easiest of steps.
- Once the color has been in your hair for the recommended time, rinse out the color until the water runs clear.
- Style as usual.
Here are some major benefits of using Clairol’s Nice ‘n Easy Root Touch-Up Coloring Systems
- Root Touch-Up by Nice ‘n Easy covers up grays and root re-growth in only 10 minutes.
- Color lasts for 3 weeks and is specifically formulated to be applied in between colorings.
- Precision brush allows for easy application.
- Easy-to-follow instructions.
- Available in 21 shades formulated to match any color hair – even salon color!
- Refreshed color can go a long way and make you feel great.
Tags: Applying the Color, at-home hair color, Clairol Nice 'N Easy, Clairol. Root, coloring your hair, cover grey hair, Finishing Touches, prep, root touch up, Root Touch-up System, touching up your roots
Trackback from your site.
Danielle resides in the Mitten State with her husband, toddler son and two loving pit-bull dogs. When Danielle isn’t writing and capturing pictures, she runs a small social media company, Buzz Mitten Media and is co-owner of Two Clicks Photography. Her interests include fitness, healthy eating, cooking, wine, reading, photography, exploring the beautiful state of Michigan, and spending time with family. She is a hardcore Spartans, Lions, Tigers and Red Wings fan and can talk sports all day long. You can find her blog here: https://coffeechaosandgiggles.com/ and visit her photography page at https://www.facebook.com/twoclicksphotographyanddesign. Follow her on Instagram: danielle_jones and twitter: @ daniseitzjones.