Beyond the Ponytail: Preschool Edition
You’ve been blessed with a little girl! You get to stock up on adorable dresses, frilly skirts and matching shoes. It’s everything you dreamed having a girl would be. You also get the
headache pleasure of figuring out what to do with her hair. And let’s face it, sometimes it truly can be a headache. You could just throw it in a ponytail everyday but some days you want something more unique for your special girl. In this article, you’ll learn 3 new ways to style your girls locks, Beyond the Ponytail. Grab her favorite book or game to use as a distraction and get styling!
Triple Pigtail- Short Hair
This style is great for the girl whose hair is taking a little bit longer to come in, with some layers and overall shorter length. It allows you to pull all their hair up, which is such a relief for them in the heat of the summer.
- Start with parting their hair directly down the center. Use a clip to keep one side out of the way while you work with the other. You’re going to create 3 subsections within each side, making sure the subsections are even.
- Gather the hair for your first subsection and secure with a hair tie. Make a part for your second subsection and bring the hair from the first into the second and secure with a hair tie. Repeat for the last subsection.
- Repeat all steps for the other side. Try to keep the partings the same as the first side, as well as the placement of the hair ties.
Side Braid- Medium/Long Hair
If your girl has seen Frozen, there’s little doubt she’s a fan of Elsa. And if she’s a fan of Elsa, of course she loves her hair! This style is a variation of the obsession-worthy signature Elsa braid. Just like a traditional French-braid, this style will use 3 sections of hair. With French-braiding, each section crosses over the middle section, giving the illusion the braid sits under the hair. In this version, you’re going to cross each section under the middle section, allowing the braid to sit on top of the hair.
- You’ll work on a diagonal with your sections. Imagine the middle has shifted to the left or right (depending on her regular part) and start the braid there. Try not to gather too much hair each time or you’ll run out of hair before the braid reaches the bottom. As with all other basic braids, you’re going to work back and forth collecting hair to add to each main section. Remember, the hair crosses under the middle section.
- Continue braiding all the hair, finishing in the corner opposite your starting point (i.e. starting at the left front, ending at the right nape.) Secure with a hair tie.
Sock Bun- Long Hair
Have you ever wanted to get that perfect ballerina bun? Using a sock bun form or an actual sock (yes, you heard right!) is the way to accomplish that. This is a very trendy hairstyle right now, for young girls and women alike. It’s fairly easy to do, which is always a plus when it comes to styling young girls’ hair. You’ll use a large sock for a large bun or a small sock for a more petite bun.
- First, you’re going to gather all the hair and secure it with a hair tie. You can choose to do a low ponytail or a high ponytail.
- Next, you’ll take your rolled sock, pull the hair through the center and slide it down, allowing it to rest against the head. With the hair from the ponytail, bring it around the sock, spreading it out to make sure the sock is completely covered. Once it’s spread evenly, take the second hair tie and secure it around the hair covered sock.
- If there are any loose ends, carefully smooth them into place around the base of the bun and secure with a bobby pin. You can choose to leave the style as it is, or finish with an embellishment of your choice.
Now your girl will not only be the best dressed girl around, but her hair will match her fashionable style!
Using products will help these styles last longer, and Hot Tots is just the thing you need! It’s specifically designed for your fashionable kids, and the best part? It’s safe and natural!
Photo credits: CeceLynn Design
Tags: back to school, braids, fashionable girl, fashionable kids, fashionable preschooler, fashionable toddler, kid hairstyles, kid styles, ponytails, preschool girl hairstyles, preschool styles, school hair, school style, sock buns, toddler girl hairstyles, toddler styles