This article may include advertisements, paid product features, affiliate links and other forms of sponsorship.
There is a trend going around amongst fitness gurus and people who want to lose weight- skipping out on breakfast. This is also called intermittent fasting which is the act of not eating for 12-16 hours each day. Most people will stop eating after dinner and continue their fast through mid-morning. But there are several reasons why you need to eat breakfast, primarily within 30 minutes of waking up.
We have heard for decades that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but a recent study by Herbalife Nutrition found that breakfast is skipped by 50% of people. The number one reason: time. We are so rushed to get the kids out the door to school, ourselves off to work, and to start our days that breakfast becomes less of a priority. But there are several reasons why you need to eat breakfast every day. It doesn’t have to be a big, elaborate breakfast either- just something easy, simple, and small is enough to get your body what it needs throughout the day.
Eight thousand people were questioned for the recent breakfast habit study by Herbalife Nutrition. Respondents came from the United States, China, and Asia Pacific countries. Researchers found that when it comes to breakfast habits:
- 55% of respondents in the US and 63% of respondents in Asia are skipping out on breakfast regularly.
- Males consume breakfast more regularly than females in the US; it is the opposite for Asian countries.
- As people get older, they tend to eat breakfast more regularly with 50% of millennials eating breakfast regularly versus 63% of baby-boomers in the US (APAC: 56% vs 74%; China: 79% vs 84%).
- Respondents deemed that lack of time was the main reason for skipping out on breakfast, followed by lack of appetite and the idea that eating breakfast is too much work.
- Weight loss is the top reason people stated for not eating breakfast.
What are the Dangers of Intermittent Fasting?
Skipping breakfast can be harmful to your health. For those with certain health conditions like heart disease and diabetes, not eating at regular intervals can be dangerous or even deadly. For those who are trying to lose weight, fasting for long periods of time can backfire such as then:
- Over-eating since your body is so hungry.
- Indulging on unhealthy foods in order to “reward” yourself.
- Your body goes into survival mode- Your body starts to hold on to the stored fat and calories because it doesn’t know when it will get the sustenance it needs.
Studies done on intermittent fasting have been small and short, and more research needs to be done on the long-term effects. However, most researchers and nutrition scientists agree that eating breakfast is the best thing to do for most people whether they are looking to lose weight or just maintain overall health.
Why You Should Eat Breakfast
“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”
We have heard that line for decades, and in our heart of hearts we know that we should be consuming something to start our day. Chief health and nutrition officer of Herbalife Nutrition, Dr. John Agwunobi, states that “Having a balanced breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up will help boost mood, provide adequate nutrients to the brain to aid in mental alertness, energy and stave off hunger throughout the day.” Here are a few reasons why you should be eating breakfast every morning:
- It boosts your metabolism.
- You consume less overall calories throughout the day (i.e., you are less likely to indulge or over-eat).
- Better memory and performance throughout the day.
- Studies have shown that consuming breakfast each morning lowers your “bad” cholesterol.
- You tend to eat more fiber and calcium when you eat breakfast first.
- The Herbalife Nutrition study found that traditional breakfasts usually contain oats, fiber, and fruit.
What to Eat
In the recent study by Herbalife Nutrition, they found that most respondents don’t eat breakfast due to lack of time. However, 90% of said respondents said that they would eat breakfast if they had easy, quick, take-along items that they could bring with them on the go. Herbalife Nutrition, which is centered around promoting an overall healthy lifestyle coupled with fitness and weight-mangament programs, has started a Grab-and-Go initiative to help people consume breakfast on a regular basis.
“We strive to provide consumers with better options for convenient meals that will benefit their health,” said Ibi Montesino, senior vice president, and managing director, North America Region, Herbalife Nutrition. “Through products like our Herbalife Nutrition Formula 1 Healthy Meal Nutritional Shake Mix, we give people a simpler path to proper nutrition with a balanced meal that’s a great option when they’re pressed for time.”
Nutrition and protein shakes like the Herbalife Nutrition Formula 1 Healthy Meal Nutritional Shake Mix has exactly what is needed for a healthy balanced breakfast. Each meal, according to their program philosophy should contain 40 percent carbohydrates, 30 percent protein, and 30 percent healthy fats. This, along with half your weight in ounces of water (usually about 8 glasses), plus 25 grams of fiber per day will put you on the right track for a healthy lifestyle. Breakfast can help get you started with hitting those goals, too. A simple scrambled egg with avocado slices and a Herbalife Nutrition Formula 1 Healthy Meal Nutritional Shake Mix will boost your metabolism and make you a more productive and healthier individual.
Follow the links below to learn more about this recent study and about Herbalife Nutrition
EXPLORE AND CONNECT
Need more? Check out The Case for Feeding our Kids Breakfast