Ultimate Gifts are the gifts that are dreamt about and wished for all year long. If you are looking for the gift that is certain to top all gifts, and evoke praises for years to come, then you have come to the right place! We have gathered up the best of the best for adults and children alike!... read more
All about Hemp: Benefits and a Recipe
Looking to add more to your family’s diet in a quick and easy way? Don’t have time to cook a breakfast every morning, yet still wish to indulge in a balanced wholesome meal? Hemp protein may be your solution! Adding a simple and organic hemp protein to your routine can save you time and add many benefits a typical breakfast would not have. Arm yourself with knowledge about this super-food and learn how incorporate it into your family with a tasty recipe.
What is Hemp?
Hemp protein is derived from the Hemp seed or as most may know, the Cannabis plant. No it’s not the Cannabis plant that probably came to mind, it is variant of the Cannabis plant that provides high quality, fiber-rich protein. The applications and uses of Hemp are not limited to food products. Hemp is also used in non-food items such as making fabrics and ropes.
Three forms of Hemp
- Hemp seeds are in fact the seeds. They can be enjoyed raw as a seed, ground in a similar way to flaxseed, or sprouted. Additionally, the hemp seeds can used to make hemp milk. However, the most common usage of hemp seeds is to manufacture hemp protein and hemp oils.
- Hemp oil is derived from the seed. Approximately 44% of the hemp seed contain the oils. These oils supply you with all the essential amino acids for your diet.
- Hemp protein is typically a powder made from a process that dehydrates crushed hemp seeds.
Benefits of Hemp
- Great source of iron. For those who struggle with anemia (iron deficiency) or are just looking for an alternative to meat and bean iron sources, hemp’s iron content can provide more than 40% of your daily iron requirements.
- High fiber content. It’s a naturally high fiber plant, making it a nice staple to help regulate your digestive tract. Fiber-rich food like hemp can help with weight management and may even help with weight loss.
- Complete protein, contains all essential amino acids. Most other protein sources such as milk, meat, and eggs, do not contain all essential amino acids. Not only does hemp contain all nine essential amino acids your body cannot naturally produce, it also contains 11 other amino acids required for building proteins.
- Easier to digest than other proteins. Most plant sources are easier to digest than non-plant foods. Hemp is particularly digestion-friendly due to the enzymes and nutrients provided by this super-food.
- Good source of essential fatty acids. Hemp contains about 80% of the daily requirement for essential fatty acids, mostly comprised of omega 3, omega 6, and linoleic acid.
- Almost always organic. The hemp plant contains natural properties that prevent weeds from growing, minimizing the need for nasty pesticides/herbicides, making it almost always organic! Hemp is even used in some countries a natural weed control in crop fields.
- Fit for everyone whether you are vegetarian, vegan, etc. Most hemp products on the market are 100% raw, meaning they are cold-processed from hemp seeds, involving no heat. Hemp is in its completely natural form as a seed, powder, or oil. And since hemp is derived from a plant, most individual diets can easily incorporate Hemp.
Now that we know some (yes, there are more even more benefits!) of the truly amazing benefits of Hemp, let’s find a way to indulge in this wonderful super-food. This smooth and hearty Hemp Protein Smoothie is the perfect way to start your morning!
- 8 ounces of milk
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tablespoon hemp protein powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- a few ice cubes
- Using a mixer, add all ingredients and blend until well combined.
- This recipe will nourish one adult or two children. Double or triple depending on your family’s needs.
Tags: amino acids, daily mom, easy, eco-friendly, family, family meals, fiber, going organic, green, health, healthy, hemp, hemp milk for baby, iron, meal, natural, oil, omega 3 fatty acid, omega 6 fatty acid, organic, powder, pregnancy, protein, raw, seeds, super food, whole food