Warm weather, sunshine, long days and cool nights. Summertime is here! You've dusted off the patio furniture and fired up the grill. Now, you just need something to make for dinner. If you're looking for something other than hot dogs and burgers for your cookout this weekend, we've got the best recipe that screams summertime. Read on to learn how to make the perfect summer clam bake!
- 1 bag of small potatoes
- 4-6 ears of corn, cut into thirds
- 1 large onion
- 25 clams
- 20 shrimp
- 25 muscles
- 12 crab clusters
- 3 1.5 lb lobster
- 1 bunch of chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 T oregano
- 2 T dried basil
- 3 T Old Bay seasoning
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- bottle of beer
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- olive oil
- 1 large lemon
- 2 lbs butter
1. Place clams and ¼ cup of cornmeal in a bowl with iced salt water to soak and clean. (Let soak for 30-60 minutes.)
2. Boil lobsters in a large pot for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. (Do not discard water.)
3. Place potatoes and onions into a grill-safe broiling pan. Season with salt and pepper. Fill with lobster water until potatoes are covered. Cover with tinfoil and place on grill for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
4. Layer corn, clams, muscles, parsley and bay leaves. Sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning. Continue layering with shrimp, lobster and crabs. Add one bottle of beer. Sprinkle on salt, pepper and more Old Bay seasoning.
5. Rub olive oil on the underside of the tin foil. Cover dish with tin foil, tightly.
6. Place back on grill. Grill for 25-30 minutes until clams and muscles open. (Discard any that don't open.)
7. Melt butter for dipping, and place bowls of water and lemon juice around the table to clean hands. This will be a messy feast - a perfect meal to share outdoors!
Photo credit: With A Red Bird On My Shoulder