Do you need a little sun, sand and sea in your life? Are you craving a quick weekend getaway, or planning an elaborate family reunion? No matter what type of vacation plans you’re envisioning, the South Seas Island Resort located on the beautiful Captiva Island, Florida is guaranteed to fulfill your every need and desire year-round, right here in the United States.
With activities and amenities to suite every individual family member, from the youngest to the oldest, there is something for everyone which will ensure a relaxing, fun-filled trip that will be remembered for years to come. After visiting South Seas Island Resort, many families come back year after year for their annual vacations because of the lush tropical surroundings, luxurious accommodations, friendly staff and impeccable service that gives everyone a much needed break from the stressors of daily life at this charming island getaway. Continue reading for our very own Daily Mom’s South Seas Island Resort Review.
Upon arriving on Captiva Island you will immediately feel the relaxing vibes of this lush tropical getaway. Life here is laid back and calming to the senses…“Welcome to Island Time.”
The Welcome Center at the South End of the resort is your first stop where you will be greeted by smiling faces, offered a cool refreshment, and quickly and efficiently checked into your room. Here you will also be given a South Seas Island resort map which will come in handy throughout your stay. This expansive island resort has something for everyone so knowing where to go is key to your enjoyment while staying on the property.
You can also pick up an activities guide at the Welcome Center so you can decide what to do during your stay. Whether your plan includes spending the day lounging in a cabana by the pool, taking in a round of golf, or heading out on a parasailing adventure trip, you can plan accordingly making sure you don’t miss out on anything the resort has to offer.
Transportation on Captiva Island
Whether arriving by land, sea or sky, once on South Seas Island Resort property you won’t want to worry about parking your car, and with plenty of other transportation options there is really no need. Two of the most popular modes of transportation on island are the South Seas Island open air trolley and the various sized golf carts available for rental from Sunny Island Adventures, ideal for traversing this entire island getaway. The South Seas Island trolley schedule runs all day and late into the evening with a multitude of stops on Captiva Island allowing you to hop on and off with ease.
Fun for the kids and relaxing for the adults, either way you choose to get around allows you to enjoy the sights, sounds, and fresh coastal air this island has to offer. Golf cart and walking paths take you where cars cannot on this island, so if you want a truly immersive experience either the trolley or a golf cart is the way to go. Bike rentals are also available if you want to go exploring at a more leisurely pace.
Golf cart rentals are available daily/weekly from Sunny Island Adventures and can seat either 4 or 6 passengers. Golf carts are the most popular, and most convenient, mode of transportation on South Seas Resort, Captiva Island so it is recommended that you make your reservation in advance of your arrival.
Accommodations at South Seas Island Resort
South Seas Resort has gone to great lengths to ensure that your stay on their property is the quintessential island vacation. The accommodations available on resort property are an integral part of your trip as a relaxing, laid back vacation is what this island is all about. These well-maintained villas, bungalows and cottages are full of old Florida charm and there are a variety of different size and style accommodations to meet your needs. From honeymooning couples to multi-generational family groups, there is a something for every size group. The best part is that you can decide where on island you want to stay depending on what you like to see and do.
Available Accommodations Include:
- South Seas Island Resort Harbourside Hotel: If you love to be centrally located, the Harbourside Hotel offers comfortable hotel accommodations with private balconies in the heart of the island. An easy walk to the resort pools, restaurants, golf course and beaches, these accommodations give you easy access to all activities, including Ships Store, Sunny Island Adventures, and the fitness center.
- South Seas Island Resort Beach Villas or Cottages: If you want to watch the sunset over the beach and easily head out shelling in the early morning hours, these accommodations are ideal. Located on South Beach, these one, two and three bedroom villas or two bedroom, 3 bath cottages are also near the welcome center, Starbucks, Captiva Provision Company, Sunny Island Adventures, and Doc Ford’s Rum Bar & Grill.
- South Seas Island Resort Bayside Villas and Marina Villas: If you’re arriving by boat and prefer spectacular views over the marinas and the bay, the Bayside or Marina Villas are the perfect location. With locations on both the North and South end of the island, you can access all amenities and still relax at the end of the day watching the boats out on the water. You can also stop at the Bayside Marina for any necessary fishing gear or provisions.
- South Seas Island Resort Tennis Villas: If you plan to spend the early morning hours playing a game of tennis, this is a great location. Overlooking the tennis court and just a short walk to South Beach, these one and two bedroom villas are easily accessible, near reception and across the street from Starbucks.
- South Seas Island Resort Seabreeze Grande Villas: If you prefer to be in the hub of all activity and near the resort pool complex, the Seabreeze Grande Villas are located in the North Pointe Village within walking distance to the golf course and pools. These grande three bedroom, three bath villas offer spectacular views of the Gulf of Mexico or the golf course.
Read More: Screen Time Summer Rules for Kids
Dining at South Seas Island Resort
Everyone knows vacations are really all about the food, drinks, and available dining experiences, and South Seas Resort will not disappoint! With a variety of on-island dining options, from quick grab-and-go bites before setting sail to pool and beach side baskets to long and leisurely steak and seafood dinners, dining at South Seas is, like everything else, only dependent on what you want to experience.
Restaurants and Bars Include:
Captiva Provision Company: Offering groceries, beer/wine, travel essentials and more, this full service market/deli and bakery offers everything you need to prepare meals on your own (the South Seas Resort villas and cottages have full kitchens and dining tables for in-room dining, if desired). Also available are grab-and-go items, fresh fruits, and and freshly prepared salads, sandwiches and more.
Starbucks: Grab your morning cup before your tennis game, or enjoy an iced afternoon pick me up before the late afternoon activities, either way the Starbucks located near the welcome gate is a quick and convenient option.
Ships Store: Located in the North Pointe Village, this centrally located convenience store offers grab-and-go options, especially for those heading out in the boats from the marina, breakfast options, Boars Head meats and cheeses, snacks, wine, and more. You can also grab and forgotten toiletries, sunscreen and even fishing bait right here in the central hub of the island.
Scoops and Slices: This vintage 1950’s style diner and candy shop offers freshly prepared pizzas, burgers, chicken tenders, hot dogs, salads and more for dining in or take out at lunch or dinner. Open late, this is the happening spot in the evening for those with a sweet tooth or families with kids as they serve up milkshakes, sundaes, giant ice cream cones, or self-serve frozen yogurt.
Crooked Snook Tiki Bar: Featuring an extensive cocktail menu, the Crooked Snook Tiki Bar is located on the main resort pool deck and offers freshly prepared fish sandwiches, burgers and lunch baskets perfect for eating poolside.
The Pointe: Also centrally located on the main resort pool deck, the Pointe offers freshly prepared lunch options for adults and kids. Try their delicious Ahi Tuna Bowl or fish tacos while the kids chow down on burgers, chicken tenders, or even snack baskets of freshly prepared hummus and veggies. With a variety of fresh salads, snack options, and delicious drinks the BEST part is these can all be served poolside. Relax under the large fans with seating available on the well-appointed deck for lunch, or simply stay in your lounge chair as servers circle the pool decks providing prompt and impeccable service daily.
Attitudes Beach Bar and Latitudes Snack Shack: Offering small bites, salads, wraps and tropical drinks (plus a full bar), the Attitudes Beach Bar and Latitudes Snack Shack is located right on Sunset Beach. With the South Seas Island Resort friendly and helpful staff you can ‘waste the day away’ swimming, lounging, and eating right here beachside. Additionally, after the sun goes down stay and relax near the fire pit, play games (darts, ping pong, checkers, and more), check out the live entertainment featuring a variety of bands, and make sure to join in the nightly sunset celebration as the day comes to an end for some incredible views.
Harbourside Bar and Grill: Open for breakfast and dinner, this casual, nautical themed restaurant overlooks the marina at South Seas Island Resort. Offering a delicious breakfast buffet, classic dishes such as biscuit and gravy or shrimp and grits, and a dinner menu full of fresh seafood dishes, along with steaks and pasta, there is something for every palate. Plus, if you had a great day on the water, checkout their You Hook It, We Cook It program where you can bring in your catch of the day and they will clean it, cook it and serve it anyway you like.
Doc Ford’s Rum Bar and Grill: This sports bar and grill serves up local dishes full of Caribbean flavor for lunch and dinner here on Captiva Island. Featuring signature recipes such as the Lime Panko Crusted Fish sandwich or the Yucatan Shrimp tacos, grab a signature island mojito, run infused cocktail or other run inspired selection from their premium rum collection and enjoy the sights, sounds, and flavors of the island life.
Activities at South Seas Island Resort
Vacation plans vary for every individual. Whether you are seeking the serenity and tranquility of the seashore, the lazy days spent lounging in a cabana by the pool, or the action packed adventure of off-shore fishing and water sports, the beauty of South Seas Island Resort is that there is something for everyone. With a wide variety of programs and prepared activities (or not) there is something to ensure the ultimate enjoyment of everyone in your party. While the activity schedule and times change monthly, make sure to check the activity schedule to reserve your spots and plan before you arrive so you can take advantage of all the island has to offer.
Activities at the South Seas Island Resort Include:
Fitness and Wellness Activities
- Captiva Golf Course: Designated one of the top five short courses in the world, this 9 hole course featuring seaside views, gentle ocean breezes, and sunny, balmy weather makes for a day well spent on the green.
- Blackwood Tennis Academy: Whether you’re simply here to play or need instruction, beginner or professional, the Blackwood Tennis Academy and their professional and courteous staff are here to ensure you have a top notch tennis experience at South Seas Island Resort.
- Ambu Yoga: If beach yoga at sunrise is your idea of relaxation then Ambu Yoga has a variety of daily offerings to help bring peace and tranquility to your stay.
- Kay Casperson Spa: With a full service spa and salon here at South Seas Island Resort you can head to the spa for a signature massage, mani/pedi, or spend time in the sauna, having a truly relaxing vacation recharging and refreshing both your body and soul.
- Shelling: One of the best beaches for shelling, Captiva Island has miles of shell covered beaches with new shells being pulled in by the tides every day. Early morning is the ideal time for shelling before it is too hot and while most shells are intact and untouched.
- Kayaking: Check out the Pine Island Sound, the intricate mangrove forests, and get up close to the local wildlife on a kayak tour of the clear blue waters surrounding the South Seas Island Resort. With manatees, dolphins, a variety of birds and more calling the waters and trees around Captiva Island home, this is a wildlife lover’s dream tour around the island.
- Go!Fish: This catch and release fishing program offered by the South Seas Island Resort is fun for all ages. Learn to cast, reel, and come up close to some of the local fish living in the waters around Captiva Island.
- Bicycling: Explore Captiva Island at a leisurely pace riding one of the many bicycles available for rent. Take in the cool ocean breezes and explore every nook and cranny of this island traversing the many winding paths throughout the South Seas Island Resort property.
- South Seas Island Resort Fishing: Bring your own gear, trailer your own boat, and head to the South Seas Island Resort for an unforgettable Florida fishing adventure. Don’t have your own gear? With full and half day charters available, head out in these superior sport fishing waters for the adventure of a lifetime.
- Captiva Cruises: Surrounded by other small islands, some accessible only by boat, Captiva Cruises will show you the best these waters have to offer. Head out on a Dolphin and Wildlife cruise to see the local wildlife that calls this area of Florida home, or sit back and sip champagne on a sunset cruise while you watch the sun dip into the water. Take a boat trip to the beautiful Cayo Costa State Park for a world class shelling experience, or head to Cabbage Key for an old Florida historical day trip.
- Sunny Island Adventures: Parasailing, jet skis, paddle boarding, and more, whether you are a thrill seeker or simply want a few fun water activities to enjoy with the kids, Sunny Island Adventures is the place to visit at the South Seas Island Resort. With activities and water sports fitting for a variety of ages, the fun and friendly staff will make sure you have a safe and memorable day full of fun.
- Colgate Offshore Sailing School: If your vacation plans include lessons from America’s #1 sailing school then South Seas Island Resort is the place to visit. The Offshore Sailing School is the place to ‘learn the ropes’ of sailing in the sea. Professional staff teaches everyone from beginners to more experienced sailors, giving you the experience of a lifetime and instilling a lifelong love of sailing in every participant.
- Camp Skullywags: Boasting one of the best kids clubs around, Camp Skullywags is not only a fun and safe place for your kids to spend their days at South Seas Island Resort, but they won’t want to leave. With daily arts and crafts, lunch and snacks, fun activities, and even playful pets including a parrot and tank full of hermit crabs, your kids will love their time spent here playing and making new friends while mom and dad get a much needed break. With evening programs available as well, parents can enjoy a much needed date night while the kids enjoy their own activities, dinner and a movie at Camp Skullywags.
- Scout About: This on-island scavenger hunt is SO MUCH FUN! Parents, kids, and adults without kids love this easy and entertaining island adventure. With locations throughout the South Seas Island Resort featuring different animals, sea creatures, and wildlife, you can collect the colored bands all while learning about the natural inhabitants of this island with the educational Scout About scavenger hunt.
- Sanibel Sea School: After a morning spent at Sanibel Sea School you’ll have a budding marine biologist on your hands. A truly unique experience Sanibel Sea School is an amazing, hands-on, educational experience your kids can enjoy while vacationing at South Seas Island Resort. With varied activities daily, a sea school instructor will take your child (in a group) out into the water on the different sides of the island to investigate and learn about the creatures living in the weeds and waters surrounding Captiva Island, Florida.
South Seas Island Resort Review
As a full-time working mom of 4 boys, a Memorial Day weekend getaway to the South Seas Island Resort was a much anticipated trip. Accustomed to multi-generational, large family trips, this was also the first time signing my older boys up for kids activities, sans parents. The experience at South Seas was amazing! We spent 3 days dining on the water, lounging by the H2Whoa! Waterslide pool, taking long golf cart rides around the island where we all completed the Scout About Scavenger Hunt, and the older boys and the husband even went parasailing!
The two older boys (9 & 7 years old) spent a morning at Sanibel Sea School where they learned all about the local inhabitants of the water and even caught a sea horse, crabs and various fish. With their younger brother in tow (4 year old), the 3 boys also enjoyed a day at Camp Skullywags where they hung their names on the Scout About Wall of Fame for visiting all the scavenger hunt locations, completed some arts and crafts, and even held and raced hermit crabs.
Every evening we spent time at Sunset Beach listening to the nightly entertainment, playing a variety of games, and enjoying cookouts on the sand. These long, lazy evenings were finished off with an ice cream cone from Scoops and Slices (it was vacation after all) and a leisurely, breezy golf cart ride back to our villa.
While vacationing with 4 kids might not be anyone’s idea of relaxing, it truly was a laid back, fun-filled family trip, with plenty of relaxation on the beach, thanks to the wonderful and courteous staff of the South Seas Island Resort. With activities for all ages there is something for everyone, plenty of space to simply enjoy the outdoors, and whether spending the day in the pool or in the calm waters of the beaches surrounding this resort, a sense of calm and relaxation that comes from spending time in a tropical getaway.
WANT TO READ MORE?
If you’re headed somewhere tropical this season check out our summer outfits for women and children.
💖 NEWSLETTER: DAILY READS IN YOUR INBOX 💖
Sign up to receive our picks for the best things to do, see and buy so you can relax and focus on more important tasks! Let us help you be the best version of yourself you can be!
GET MORE FROM DAILY MOM, PARENTS PORTAL
Newsletter: Daily Mom delivered to you
Instagram: @DailyMomOfficial | @DailyMomTravel | @BestProductsClub