This article may include advertisements, paid product features, affiliate links and other forms of sponsorship.
Fall is here! That means changing leaves, sweaters and boots, bonfires, football… and soup! That’s right – soup. Ditch the chili this football Sunday and make something totally different but just as filling to the belly and the soul. Here is the perfect Sauerkraut soup recipe that will leave you toasty both on the outside and the inside.
- 1 pound of sauerkraut
- 1 small diced onion
- 1.5 cup of cooked rice
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1 cup of dried mushrooms or chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 quarts of water
- 1 TBS of flour
- 1 TBS of butter
- 1 TBS of olive oil
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak dried mushrooms in water for 20 minutes in order to rehydrate them.
- Saute onion in a soup pot.
- Add 2 quarts of water to the pot.
- Add sauerkraut.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add cooked rice, mushrooms and spices.
- In a small sauce pan, mix butter and flour over medium heat. Whisk constantly for 8-10 minutes until it smells toasted and has a super thick consistency.
- Add this rue into your stock pot and simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Add a cup of chicken stock to your pot after you’ve completed your simmer time. Let simmer for another 30 minutes until soup is thick and well blended.
This soup is perfect when eaten with fresh bread!
Photo credit: Marley Layne’s Closet