This article may include advertisements, paid product features, affiliate links and other forms of sponsorship.
Journaling is a powerful tool. It allows you to clarify your thoughts and feelings. It can help you work through and solve problems more efficiently and it can help you set and achieve goals. Journaling is also a well-known stress reliever. The reason journaling can do all these things is because writing down your thoughts helps you to realize and manage your feelings, which in turn improves your mental health. Journaling is a great path to self-discovery. So whether you are looking to set some goals, spark your creativity, or get to know yourself better, here are 50 journal prompts to help you kick start your journaling routine and discover your best self.
Getting Started on Your Journaling Journey
If you are an old pro at journaling, you likely have a journaling routine that suits you and you are just looking for some journal prompts to breathe some new life into your journal. If you have never kept a journal in your life, there is no reason that you cannot start now. All journaling requires is a little undistracted time to sit down and write. Whether you write pages upon pages or only a few words, as long as you set aside a little time to think about yourself, how things are going, and how you are feeling, you are meeting the requirements for journaling.
Once you decide to start journaling, set yourself up for success. Get a cute notebook and a fancy pen or download a journaling app. Use whatever will make you happiest and most likely to stick with it. There is no one-size-fits-all way to journal. You do you! Then consider journaling at or around the same time every day – when you are drinking your morning coffee, over your lunch break, when you get into bed at the end of the day, or during that time when you lock yourself in the bathroom to hide from your kids for five minutes.
50 Self-discovery Journal Prompts
Now that you are ready to journal yourself to self-discovery, here are 50 journal prompts to launch you to success, and hopefully a clearer mind and some amazing life goals.
- Have you ever made a New Year’s Resolution that you kept?
- If you could do absolutely anything, what would you put on your bucket list?
- You are locked in a room with your greatest fear. Describe what is in the room.
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- Think about the last time you broke a rule. How did things turn out? Did things go up in flames or turn out for the best?
- Describe your perfect day.
- If your home was on fire and you could only grab five items (all people and animals are safe) what would you grab?
- You found a magic lamp. What three wishes do you ask for from the genie?
- When you need to make a major change in your life, do you make it all at once (straight cold turkey) or a little bit at a time (ease on in)?
- What does success look like?
- When was the last time someone complimented you? What did they compliment? How did you feel?
- Describe three unique, exciting, or just plain weird things about you.
- What is your guilty pleasure?
- When did you realize you were a grownup?
- When did you realize you were someone’s mom?
- Who is the most important person in your life? What would your life be like without him/her?
- If you could erase one thing from your past, what would it be? Why?
- Do you like a solid plan or to fly by the seat of your pants?
- Do you love to be in a crowd or would you rather sit home alone in your pajamas?
- What was your favorite book as a child?
- What is your favorite smell? Why?
- If you could be someone else for a day, who would it be?
- Early bird or night owl?
- Recall a time you felt embarrassed.
- What is the biggest secret you have ever kept?
- What is something you would try if you were guaranteed not to fail?
- What is your greatest strength?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- If you had a theme song what would it be?
- How do you cheer yourself up when you are feeling down?
- The city or the country?
- The beach, the mountains, or somewhere else?
- You received good news. Who do you call first?
- Describe your perfect rainy afternoon.
- What is one thing most people don’t know about you?
- What is your favorite part about visiting a new place?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Describe something you have been putting off doing. Why are you putting it off?
- What was the last lie you told?
- How do you feel about asking for help?
- What is one thing you cannot live without?
- What is your biggest regret?
- What do you love most about yourself?
- Describe a time you felt out of place?
- Describe something that makes you smile just thinking about it.
- What would you want someone to say in your eulogy at your funeral?
- What is something you know you should do but don’t? Why don’t you do it?
- Describe the last time you got really angry.
- How are you most often misunderstood by other people (or someone in particular)?
- When did you feel the richest?
Whether you are looking to answer the big questions in life or you are just wanting to take a little time for yourself to get your sanity back, these 50 journal prompts are sure to help you get there. Whatever your end goals of journaling are, committing a little time each day (or each week if that is all you can manage) can make a big difference in your mental wellbeing and your mood. You can write five pages or five sentences about each of these journal prompts for the next 50 days and either way you are guaranteed to know yourself a little better in the end.
WANT TO READ MORE?
Check out this article on Raising Kids with an Attitude of Gratitude.
💖 NEWSLETTER: DAILY READS IN YOUR INBOX 💖
Sign up to receive our picks for the best things to do, see and buy so you can relax and focus on more important tasks! Let us help you be the best version of yourself you can be!
GET MORE FROM DAILY MOM, PARENTS PORTAL
Newsletter: Daily Mom delivered to you
Instagram: @DailyMomOfficial | @DailyMomTravel | @BestProductsClub
📌 LOVE IT? PIN IT!📌
Photo Credits: Unsplash.com