There is no better summer vacation destination than one of the Schlitterbahn Waterparks & Resorts located in the southern United States. The sun is shining, the kids are out of school, and summer is in full swing. With parks located in Galveston Island, Texas, New Braunfels, Texas, South Padre Island, Texas and Kansas City, Kansas you have several options to chose from and you can’t go wrong with a trip to the family friendly Schlitterbahn waterparks & resorts.
While it’s possible you’ve never before heard of Schlitterbahn waterparks & resorts, now that you have, the original Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort is a must visit destination. In the heart of New Braunfels, Texas, a charming little town settled by the Germans in 1845, the original Schlitterbahn Castle Waterpark and Resort is packed full of food, fun, and entertainment for the entire family. Perfect for multigenerational families traveling together, Schlitterbahn has miles of lazy rivers for relaxing, along with fast-paced waterslides and rides for the thrill seekers in the group.
Situated on the banks of the Comal River, Schlitterbahn’s tube chutes, rides, tube slides and pools use spring fed water that stays cool, even in the summer heat, at a perfect 72 degrees. Additionally, this fresh water flows right back into the river, that runs between the resorts many accommodations, naturally cleansing and recycling itself. You can even ride the park’s longest lazy river right out into the Comal River where there are plenty of exit points along the backside of the waterpark and resort. Whether you are looking for a weekend getaway or a weeklong vacation, Schlitterbahn waterparks & resorts are sure to fit the bill.
Read More: Summer Outfits for Women and Children
With an extensive network of rides and multiple parks all located under the lush green natural canopy of trees surrounding the original Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort, this is not simply a waterpark but a family vacation destination. This park is truly made for families looking to spend quality time together.
Accommodations at the Original Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort
With seven different accommodation styles and room types located around the resort, from basic hotel rooms to seven-bedroom homes, there is something for every family size. Operating year round the resort is centrally located to all activities in the quaint Texas city of New Braunfels, and during waterpark season admission to the waterpark is included in your reservation.
Resort at the Bahn
The original Schlitterbahn resort, these classic rooms bring back the memories of summers gone by. Located on the banks of the Comal River, these classic and modern style rooms can accommodate anywhere from 2-16 people. Covered by a beautiful canopy of trees, each boasting a full kitchen, and most with charcoal grills just steps from the door, the Resort at the Bahn is the summer experience every child should have. Walk in an out of the waterpark daily, head to the arcade or playground after the waterpark closes, or make friends with the other families staying at the resort at one of the 3 pools (1 heated pool) centrally located within the resort complex. A stay at the Bahn is literally what summertime childhood memories are made of.
These upscale suites located across the Comal River in New Braunfels, Texas sleep 4-6 people. With a full kitchen, living room and patios overlooking the river, these lofts offer a quiet retreat amid large and shady trees with a beautiful view. The lofts are also located just blocks from downtown New Braunfels, granting easy access to all the town has to offer.
Treehaus Luxury Suites
If you’ve ever dreamed of sleeping in a treehouse, here’s your chance. The Treehaus luxury suites at Schlitterbahn offer a unique experience full of modern comforts and original decor. Nestled on the banks of the Comal River you will enjoy the treetop views, but also love that you can simply step outside your door and into the Blastenhoff section of the waterpark. With seven rooms available, each with a different configuration, there are large suites (sleeping up to 12 people) and studio suites (sleeping 6-7 people) available in the Treehaus Luxury Suites.
Village at Gruene Penthouse
Located in the Gruene Historic District, this Schlitterbahn affiliate property features 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and comfortably sleeps 16 guests. Enjoy a full kitchen and living area with a private view of the Guadalupe River while also being within walking distance to the Gruene Hall, shopping and dining.
The Riverbend Cabins are connected to the Blastenhoff section of the waterpark grating guests easy and early access to this section of the park during the season. With studio, small and large suites available, the Riverbend Cabins sleep 4-10 people and each have a full kitchen, in addition to other amenities.
Condos at Boogie Bay
Located just steps away from the eastern section of Schlitterbahn in Surfenburg, the condos at Boogie Bay offer spacious accommodations that can sleep anywhere from 6-12 guests. The condos are also within steps of Blastenhoff, the section of the waterpark that guests receive early access to all season.
Wasser Haus & Lodge
Located on the Comal River, within walking distance to the Blastenhoff section of the park, the Wasser Haus and Lodge is comprised studio suites, small suites, and large suites. Sleeping anywhere from 4-12 people, each suite has a full kitchen and is within walking distance to multiple shopping and dining options in New Braunfels.
Ideal for large groups or multigenerational families traveling together, Schlitterbahn Waterparks & Resorts has multiple vacation homes surrounding their New Braunfels properties. These 3-5 bedroom homes comfortably sleep anywhere from 8-18 people. Each home is different and unique, but provides all the amenities of home, including full kitchens, spacious living areas, and large front porch seating areas. If you plan to come, stay, and play all day, a vacation home at Schlitterbahn is a great choice as the waterparks are within walking distance (or a tram ride) from your door.
Rides at the Original Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort
The Original Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort includes four parks in one. With a simple hop on/hop off tram operating daily, transportation between the parks is simple and quick. Schlitterbahn also offers a Blast Pass wristband that is perfect for your full days of play. Simply reserve your time on the ride, continue to enjoy other attractions throughout the park, and head to your ride when it’s ready for you!
The Original Section
- Bahnzai Pipeline: Climb four stories with your tube to enter into one of the twisting, turning slides that will spiral you down 600 feet into the pool below.
- Biergarten Heated Pool: An extra large heated pool located just outside of the arcade, featuring a swim up bar for the adults.
- Cliffhanger Tube Chute: This fast paced tube shoot fed by crystal clear spring water ends with a dramatic drop to the edge of the Comal River.
- White Water Tube Chute: Grab a tube and jump into this twisting vortex of water before plunging down a waterfall on the side of a cliff.
- Hillside Tube Chute: Swirl and twirl through the rapids passing right in front of the original Schlitterbahn castle before plunging into the lagoon pool below.
- Raging River Tube Chute: The world’s longest tube chute, this 45 minute swirling, twirling float is a great way to see this whole side of the park.
- Double Loop Body Slides: These twin body slides twist and turn among the trees before splashing into the pool at the bottom.
- Der Bahn Speed Slides: These triple side by side body slides nestled next to the Comal River make for a bit of fun competition.
- Congo River Expedition: A lazy river full of thundering waterfalls and an underground mine, you can spend the day simply floating down the Congo.
- Lava Lagoon Heated Pool: Located at the base of a “volcano” hang out here before hoping on the Congo River Expedition.
- Downhill Racer: Four dueling side by side speed slides with moguls in the middle, grab a mat and race down head first.
- Gator Bowl Activity Pool: Challenge yourself to walking across the backs of giant foam floating gators using the overhead ropes to stay out of the water.
- Lagoon Pool: A giant activity pool with waterfalls, a swim up bar, in-water volleyball and more, this pool located under the shady trees of the original Schlitterbahn waterpark is a great family meeting spot.
- Lagoon Heated Pool:Features a swim up bar and tables in the pool.
- Lagoon Kids Area: With body slides, nearby seating, and soft foam padding throughout, this area is great for the youngest kids.
- Polywog Pond Kiddie Park: With a giant friendly frog, hanging suspension bridges, toadstools, and slides, this children’s area is great fun for the younger crowd.
- Schatze’s Central Park: Squirting fountains, fire hydrants, a car wash and more makes this area fun for the youngest visitors to Schlitterbahn.
- Soda Straw Body Slide: Spin and swirl down these twin body slides into the Lagoon Pool below.
- Tadpole Kiddie Pool: With plenty of slides for the littles and their parents, this wading pool is perfect for the kids.
- The Beach Wave Pool: Hang out on the beach or swim out into the pool until the waves try and push you back to shore.
- Master Blaster Uphill Water Coaster: Voted the best water ride in the nation, this water coaster blasts you both down AND up multiple times during your 1000 foot journey to the bottom.
- Blastenhoff Beach: This beach entry wave pool is perfect for relaxing on a lounge chair and taking a break from all the action.
- Bamboozle Bay Heated Pool: A heated pool and swim up bar located just underneath the Master Blaster.
- Sky Coaster: An experience similar to skydiving and hang gliding combined, soar over Blastenhoff on the Sky Coaster.
- Black Knight: 550 feet of swirling, twirling darkness envelopes you as you race down the dark knight in a two man tube.
- Han’s Hideout: A five story water funhouse for the kids, the little ones will love the 4 body slides, water cannons, net climbs, tunnels and more.
- Kinderhaven: Perfect for the littlest visitors, Kinderhaven has a pirate ship, water canyons and shaded, shallow waters for the kids to explore.
- Torrent River: A continuously moving, tidal wave river float, grab a tube and hop in.
- Wolfpack Raft Slide: Grab the family and hop on this family sized, circular raft ride in a series of swirling, twirling downhill slides.
- Back Splash: Slip and slide into the Kristal River on the super squishy body slide using the current from the Boogie Bahn to blast you out into the lazy river.
- Boogie Bahn Surfing Ride: An endless moving mountain of water, the Boogie Bahn surfing ride challenges you to grab a bodyboard and test your skills against 50,000 gallons of moving water. The covered foam surface makes the occasional wipe out gentle and just as much fun as the ride!
- Boogie Bay Heated Pool: A secluded, heated pool with a swim up bar perfect for adults and couples.
- Butterfly Bayou: Offering pint sized water slides and body slides, kids will love cooling off in this area of the park.
- Dragon’s Lair: This is a heated pool and swim up bar perfect for adults.
- Dragon’s Revenge: This uphill water coaster shoots you up and down as you challenge the dragon on this twin tube water ride.
- Hang Ten Harbor Activity Pool: Try not to fall in while walking across the water course of bobbing logs while hanging onto the ropes overhead.
- Kiddie Coast Kids Playground: With a pirate ship, friendly octopus, body slides and more, this foam padded children’s play space in Surfenburg is perfect for the youngest explorers.
- Kristal Cove Pool: A beach entry pool perfect for lounging in the shallow waters near the shore.
- Kristal River: A lazy river with a nice leisurely current, hop in a tube, swim along, or even jump on one of the friendly alligators floating around the river in a continuous, unending loop.
- Aquaveyer: Making the Falls an endless water ride, the Aquaveyer will take you back to the beginning for the world’s longest float, no need to get out of the water.
- The Falls: The world’s longest waterpark ride, grab a tube and get ready to facing raging rapids, waterfalls, and giant waves.
- Deluge River: This fast moving tube ride through a canyon full of waves also connects to the Falls allowing for the never ending tube ride.
- River Bend Pool: A heated, family friendly activity pool overlooking the Comal River.
- Sea Creature Cove: With a dragon slide and two water spraying mushrooms, this is a great area for the younger kiddos.
Cabanas are also located throughout the park. With designated wait staff, padded lounge chairs, mini-fridges and televisions all available, if you are traveling with small children who may need somewhere to rest, or as a multigenerational family who needs a meeting spot out of the sun, reserving a cabana at Schlitterbahn waterparks & resorts is an ideal addition for your ultimate enjoyment.
Dining at the Original Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort
The Schlitterbahn Waterparks & Resorts pride themselves on their family friendly accommodations and parks designed to bring families together and having a fabulous time. As such, their parks are all incredibly accommodating allowing families to bring their own food to the park. Whether you’re just there for the afternoon or plan to stay and play all day, coolers packed with snacks or a picnic lunch are all permitted.
However, if you plan to eat in the park, there is a wide variety of foods available and cooked fresh to order. Their giant burgers, real chicken tenders, and slow smoked BBQ are just a few of the delicious flavors you’ll find throughout the park. For dessert, their signature flavored funnel cakes are a must try that those with a sweet tooth will love.
Other Schlitterbahn Waterparks & Resorts Locations
- Corpus Christi, Texas: Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Waves Resort Corpus Christi
- South Padre Island, Texas: Schlitterbahn South Padre Island Waterpark and Resort
- Galveston Island, Texas: Schlitterbahn Waterpark Galveston
- Kansas City, Kansas: Schlitterbahn Waterpark Kansas City
Schlitterbahn Waterparks & Resorts Review
The original Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort located in New Braunfels, Texas is a series of interconnected beautiful, shady parks fed by natural spring water. With every amenity available from trams between the resorts and parks, delicious food, accommodations with full kitchens, a park that allows families to bring in their own food, swim up bars for the adults, cabanas and more, this Texas hill country destination should be at the top of your family friendly vacation list.
As a mom traveling with my mother (grandmother) and four boys, the waterpark and resort at Schlitterbahn was the perfect choice when it comes to waterparks. With plenty of activities for the younger crew, soft foam bases in all the children’s areas, and cabanas available for naps in the shade, there was plenty of fun to be had by the younger kids. Additionally, because the park uses spring fed water there were no sore, red eyes from chemically treated water!
The older boys had a blast on all the rides, being tall enough to experience them all. From fast, swirling, racing slides to trying their hand at the Boogie Bahn and even floating down the lazy river and out into the Comal, this was by far their favorite vacation of late. As a parent, I loved the set-up of the parks. Being divided into four parks allowed us to have a less crowded experience in each, and also allowed the boys a bit more freedom because I was more comfortable with them riding without me. Unlike the HUGE waterparks, crowded with tons of people all cramped into one location, the separate parks at Schlitterbahn spaces everyone out allowing families to have a less stressful, much more enjoyable experience.
At night, retiring back to our Schlitterstein loft was relaxing and comfortable. The lofts at Schlitterbahn boast a full kitchen, two queen size bedrooms, two luxury bathrooms, a living room (with a pullout couch), dining area, and a well-appointed patio situated under the large and beautiful shady trees overlooking the banks of the Comal River.
WANT TO READ MORE?
Check out this article on Top 12 Waterpark Resorts to Visit with Kids.
💖 NEWSLETTER: DAILY READS IN YOUR INBOX 💖
Sign up to receive our picks for the best things to do, see and buy so you can relax and focus on more important tasks! Let us help you be the best version of yourself you can be!
GET MORE FROM DAILY MOM, PARENTS PORTAL
Newsletter: Daily Mom delivered to you
Instagram: @DailyMomOfficial | @DailyMomTravel | @BestProductsClub