“Girlfriend”, “Galentine”, “Bestie”, “Sister”, “BFF”… no matter what you call them, these women all mean the world to us and make up our “tribe”. There should definitely be a day to celebrate the powerful women in our lives who are beside us when we celebrate life’s victories or holding us up when we are trudging through the muck of the lows life throws at us. Thankfully, Amy Poehler gave us an official opportunity to celebrate these amazing women, and that opportunity is called Galentine’s Day.
What Is Galentine’s Day?
Read More: Best Friend’s Gifts That Your BFF Will Love
Galentine’s Day is a holiday created by the fictional character Leslie Knope in the NBC show, “Parks and Recreation”. Slated for the day before Valentine’s Day, a day traditionally set aside for romance between couples, women leave their partners at home and gather for a special ladies get-together where they celebrate their friendships and the generally amazing nature of who they are as women.
Read More: Why Moms Need Friends
Celebrating friendships is not just another excuse to get a babysitter, or get dolled up for a special outing. It is important to celebrate things that help us to grow as people. Relationships require nurturing care and demand energy, both mental and emotional. Celebrations allow us to pause and visualize the result of our relationships outside of our daily conversations or texts, and they encourage us to continue to grow together and, if necessary, even make changes to certain behaviors that hold us back from experiencing a fuller relationship with our friends.
Galentine’s Day Celebration Ideas
Leslie Knope set the bar incredibly high as far as friendship-goals go. Celebrating Galentine’s Day does not mean that you need to rent out a room in a restaurant or cross-stitch your friends’ faces onto throw pillows. Deciding to give someone the gift of your time is one of the greatest gifts a person can give. Between taking care of our home, bodies, families, and work responsibilities, women are left with very little time for managing friendships, and unfortunately, friendships all too often sink to the bottom of our list of priorities. Being intentional with your time means you have to pick and choose what to do with it.
Create a plan that is meaningful to you and your friend(s). Decide on something that you can enjoy together! Here are some ideas for your Galentine’s Day celebration:
- Write each other letters to yourselves a year from now. Outline your favorite friendship memory from that year, and the goals you have for your friendship down the road. Read the letters and then save them for next Galentine’s Day!
- Take a cooking class! Getting creative together is always a fun idea, but when there is a delicious meal promised at the end of that creative work, things are automatically better.
- Go Skydiving! If you aren’t an adrenaline junkie, try indoor skydiving. It’s real, and it’s awesome.
- Enjoy a spa day together. If a visit to an actual spa is not something you can swing, there are plenty of incredible spa treatments you can do in your own home!
- Take a dance class. There are so many popular dance classes available, and they can range in styles from hip hop to erotic. Depending on the style your friends prefer, you can take your pick for your Galentine’s Day celebrations!
No matter how you decide to celebrate the women in your life, it is important to realize the importance of your tribe and to take a moment to be present in gratitude for the gift of friendships. Friendships teach us how to give selflessly and to live in a community that lifts each other up without expectation of return. This Galentine’s Day, take a moment to let the women in your life know the impact that they have on you and your life, or as Leslie Knope would say, “ladies celebrating ladies.”
WANT TO READ MORE?
Check out this article on 6 Ideas For A Mom’s Night Out.
💖 NEWSLETTER: DAILY READS IN YOUR INBOX 💖
Sign up to receive our picks for the best things to do, see and buy so you can relax and focus on more important tasks! Let us help you be the best version of yourself you can be!
GET MORE FROM DAILY MOM, PARENTS PORTAL
Newsletter: Daily Mom delivered to you
Instagram: @DailyMomOfficial | @DailyMomTravel | @BestProductsClub