Are you looking for an easy breakfast that is perfect for summertime? Look no further than these overnight refrigerator porridge jars that your toddler will love- and you will adore the hidden nutrients!
There's been recent buzz surrounding the health benefits of chia seeds lately, but finding a way to sneak them into your toddler's daily diet may pose a challenge for parents of picky eaters.
Why are chia seeds so good for you?
- Chia seeds are full of omega 3 fatty acids. In fact, they are composed 60% of omega 3's, making them the highest plant-based form of omega 3s available. Chia seeds are amazing for toddlers because one of the things that omega 3s have been proven to enhance is cognitive performance.
- Chia seeds are an excellent source of fiber. They contain 10 grams of fiber per 2 tablespoons!
- Chia seeds are rich in antioxidants. In addition, they have a shelf life of two years without refrigeration.
- Chia seeds are naturally gluten-free.
Overnight oatmeal jars are a delicious option for breakfast, and are very easy to whip together the night before. The flavor combinations are endless, and can easily be changed depending on local seasonal fruit availability.
- 1/4 cup regular old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt (regular yogurt can be used, however, adjust your milk amount to 1/2 cup)
- 1.5 teaspoons chia seeds
Next two ingredients can be customized depending on recipe
- 1-2 teaspoons natural sweetener (we suggest pure maple syrup or honey, depending on recipe)
- 1/4 cup fresh fruit
Place oats, chia seeds, milk, and yogurt into a glass jar and screw the top on. Shake well. Open jar and add in desired sweeteners and fruit until the jar is full. Place in refrigerator overnight (6-8 hours.) Oatmeal jars have a shelf life of 3-4 days refrigerated, depending on the normal shelf life of the fruit you used.
Recipe Combo Ideas:
- Apple & cinnamon. Use 1/4 cup of natural unsweetened apple sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Blueberry and maple syrup.
- Peanut butter and banana. Use 1 teaspoon of PB2 and a whole banana.
- Chocolate peanut butter & banana. Add in a teaspoon of regular cocoa powder to above recipe.
- Raspberry and natural vanilla extract.
- Mango and honey.
- Lemon strawberry. Add in 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon honey and fresh strawberries.
- Pumpkin "Pie". Add in 1/4 cup canned pumpkin, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg, and maple syrup.
Have fun experimenting with different flavors! If you have an awesome flavor combo, leave it for us in the comment section.
Photo Credits: The Memoirs of Megan