How To: Deep Clean Your Dyson Vacuum

The chances are high that you use a vacuum to clean your carpets in your home on a regular basis. But have you ever stopped and thought about giving the vacuum itself a deep cleaning job? If you have a Dyson vacuum, we will show you all the tips and tricks to getting a deep clean – which, in turn, ensures a better cleaning job on your carpets!

Materials Needed:

• Air Compressor, or a can of compressed air
  • Water
  • Scissors or knife
  • Flathead Screwdriver
  • Dish soap and paper towel

*Steps 1-5 should be done outside*

Step One:

Empty the canister of any debris. Remove the outer canister shell by pressing the button on the back between the two red pieces.

Step Two:

Open the bottom flap and remove the foam filter. Put aside for later.

Step Three:

Flip the vacuum upside down, and using a flathead screwdriver, remove the bottom roller cover. Use scissors to remove any hair that may be trapped on the roller. When clean, use the compressed air to blow out any dust or dirt trapped in visible spaces. Put roller cover back on.

Step Four:

Put cyclone part of the vacuum over a deep trashcan, and use the compressed air on every single tiny hole (this part is super messy! Beware!) Make sure that you turn the cyclone part over, and blow the air on the inside as well.

Step Five:

Clean the canister section using the compressed air.

*Gather the cyclone, canister, and sponge filter and move inside to water source.*

Step Six:

Run the sponge filter under water and squeeze until the water coming out is clear.

Step Seven:

Run water through the canister.

Step Eight:

Wash the canister thoroughly with dish soap.

Step Nine:

Use a damp paper towel to wipe off the cyclone section, and make sure that all the tiny holes are clean, and not plugged.

Step Ten:

Make sure that all sections that came into contact with water are laid out to completely dry. (At least 24 hours.) Leaving any form of moisture in the canister or cyclone part will cause dirt to clump in the holes, and make routine canister emptying much more difficult. Additionally, Dyson does not recommend running the cyclone section directly under running water!

Coral large separator

We suggest deep cleaning your vacuum once every 3-4 months. It will both elongate the life of your Dyson vacuum, as well as make sure that your carpeting is getting properly cleaned. Having any part of the cyclone clogged will not allow proper air circulation, and will, in turn, not allow the maximum amount of suction for your flooring.

Are you interested in more cleaning tips, check out this post on Spring Cleaning: Frequently Forgotten Items

Photo Credits: The Memoirs of Megan

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Megan

Megan lives in Colorado with her husband, 2 year old daughter, and infant son. Outside of chasing around her energetic toddler while nursing her son simultaneously, she loves swimming, celebrity gossip, college football, learning photography, and writing for her personal blog, The Memoirs of Megan. You can get to know her more through Facebook,Twitter, and Pinterest

Comments (29)

Lois

I just purchased my first Dyson DC65 Animal. Appreciate your instructive steps on routine maintenance. What type of high powered compressor would you recommend? I use compressed air in a can to clean electronics but I’m not comfortable using that method on my Dyson. The spray button on the can is too short & makes it difficult to maintain a sustained release of air pressure, and the whole can thing is uncomfortable.

Megan

Hi Lois,
      The word “air compressor” is a link that takes you to amazon. The linked one is the one I use- so I recommend that brand highly! :)

Mr.Ronald

For cleaning a dyson vacuum,that’s such a very difficult task and your step by step information is very helpful to cleaning it and i just follow your steps.

BJ

Good Tip! You didn’t mention the second filter that is to the left of bottom of the canister. That one also needs to be cleaned to replaced periodically.

Megan

BJ,
      If you have the Dyson Ball vacuum, there is indeed a second filter. Thanks for commenting for people to remember that one as well if they have that model!

Marie

The method that you show requires an air compressor, which most people do not have, but most people who have a vacuum have running water. I take the entire vertical section of my Dyson apart, 3 little star screws on the purple top section, and put the cyclone parts and handle section in a laundry tub of soapy water,squish around, gray dusty gunk comes out and the rinse under running water and hang up to dry. Same with the hose and vertical reach tube. I found your site while looking for other suggestions on cleaning the Dyson.

Megan

Hi Marie,
      Thanks for your suggestion. If you do not have an air compressor, I also mentioned that you can easily use a can of compressed air, easily purchased at any store. Per the Dyson website, I do not suggest submerging your vacuum into water, because it *can* void your warrantee. But I know many people that successfully use your technique as well. I just prefer to “play by the rules.”
      Thanks for commenting! :)
      Best,
      Megan

stacey

I have the DC50 animal Dyson. My vacuum has the worst smell which I compare to a vomit smell, which we have never vacuumed vomit with it. I have had it professionally cleaned at the vacuum shop but the smell is still there. Its very sad because I paid a lot of money for this Dyson, but we just can’t stand smell when we use if. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it, I’m not afraid to take this machine apart if it helps

Megan

Hi Stacey,
      Have you tried using baking soda in the canister? Maybe dump a bunch on your carpet and then vacuum it up and let it sit in there for a while? I’d also suggest a vinegar bath, but I would call Dyson and ask them about your warranty before doing that. Maybe even talk to their customer service? I hear they have good CS. :)
      Hope this helps!
      Best,
      Megan

Abby

Don’t use baking soda, it will clog your filters and thus hinder the suction you vacuum has. Baking soda does not rinse out and you will need to replace the filters. Just food for thought…been there done it

Megan

Abby,
          Do you know why? Most carpet powders (including the one that came with my Dyson Animal) has the main ingredient of baking soda. I can see not using it with any sort of moisture but dry baking soda will clog it?
          Interesting. Thanks for commenting.

Stacey

Thank you Megan, I’m going to try the baking soda today. I’ll let it sit for a couple of days and see if I notice a difference. First going to do all the cleaning steps you show on your post. Keeping my fingers crossed

Dyson Medic

I know you said it already, but is is *really important* that everything is very dry if you do this, most especially the washable filter. If water is sucked through to the motor in your Dyson, it can cause the motor to go bang in a spectacular manner.

But nice guide and good photos.