This post was written by Daily Mom through an activation with HireInfluence on behalf of Simply Self Storage. Although Daily Mom received compensation for participating in the campaign, all thoughts and opinions are our own.
When you are in the market for a self-storage unit there are several questions that might come to mind: What are the self-storage unit sizes? What size do I need? How should I organize it? No matter what you need your storage unit for - moving, temporary storage, permanent storage, decluttering, tidying up, or going minimalist in your home, trying to pick the perfect storage unit sizes for your needs can be confusing.
Find a Place
You need to find a self-storage space that fits your needs and your budget. For safe and secure storage units you will want to find a place that has:
- Climate controlled units if you have electronics or sensitive items being stored
- 24/7 surveillance
- Individual keys for access
- Easy drive-up units if you have large or heavy items
- Auto-pay options if you are going to be using the unit long term
To find a storage unit near you, check out Simply Self Storage
Storage Unit Sizes
Storage unit sizes vary, and the size you will need varies on the items you are looking to store.
- 5' x 5' : A 5' x 5' unit typically stores the contents of one room like a bookshelf, a dresser, and some other small items.
- 5' x 10': This size unit will hold the contents of a small one bedroom apartment including one bed, one dresser, and other small items.
- 10' x 10': A 10' x 10' unit will hold a one to two bedroom apartment including a bed, a dresser, a couch, a kitchen table, a refrigerator, patio furniture, and other small items.
- 10' x 20': This is a great size for a three to four bedroom apartment including several beds and bedroom sets, tables, couches, appliances, and more.
- 10' x 25': If you have a large apartment or small home, this might be a great size for you. It holds the contents of several bedrooms, common living spaces, large furniture, and appliances.
- 10' x 30': This size storage unit is for a four to five bedroom home. Storage units of this size are typically used for long term tenants who are storing their whole house.
What Storage Unit Do I Need? Tips for Picking the Best Storage Unit Sizes
It can be hard determining the right storage unit sizes for your needs. You don't want to get something too small and risk not having enough room, but you also don't want to get anything too big and spend extra money each month for space that you are not using.
Tip 1- Determine what you are storing
Decide what you need to store and place it all in one room, boxed and organized to the best of your ability. If you can clear out a bedroom or closet temporarily, this will help you figure out if you can easily fit all your stored items into that space.
Tip 2- Look up storage unit sizes
Check out storage unit sizes and research the recommendations about what is able to reasonably fit inside each size unit like the list compiled above. We like this website because it offers a visual comparison of what might be able to fit inside your storage unit.
Tip 3- Draw it out
Now that you have all the items you are looking to store and have decided on a unit size, draw out how you want to lay out the items in your storage unit. This will give you a clear understanding of how to best place your items and will make getting them into the unit faster and easier. This will also help you determine if you have picked the right size unit.
Simply Self Storage has over 200 locations nationwide that can serve your storage needs. You can easily book your preferred storage unit online and your first month of storage is completely free. They offer 24/7 survellience, individual access keys, easy drive-up units, and climate-controlled units. They even have moving supplies to help you get your stuff to your storage unit, and to store your items conveniently and organized within the unit. With competitive pricing and promotions year-round you are sure to find something that fits your budget.
WANT TO READ MORE?
Check out this article on 5 DIY Moving Tips You Didn't Know You Needed.
GET MORE FROM DAILY MOM, PARENTS PORTAL
Newsletter: Daily Mom delivered to you
Instagram: @DailyMomOfficial | @DailyMomTravel | @DailyMomFinds