Are you like some women, and immediately regret making a dozen freshly baked muffins because you may lack self control to remember portion control? Or are you just looking for an easy morning muffin to whip up for your toddler to chow down on? You’re going to love our twist on an old low-carb classic!
This recipe surfaced many moons ago on a low-carb forum board, however, it can easily be adapted to become any type of muffin you would like it to be, from diabetic friendly to just plain yummy.
The main ingredient is flax seed meal which has many nutritional benefits, including dietary fiber, lignans, magnesium, zinc andmucilage. Flax seed meal also has omega 3, and acts as a grain, but actually isn’t. Flax seed is low in carbohydrates, making it a great alternative for those who limit their intake of starch or grains. It is very high in fiber, and recent studies have been shown that regular intake of flax has been known to also lower cholesterol.
The ability to make this muffin quickly, and singly, also helps those with portion control issues.
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon oil (we suggest coconut oil, because of its many health benefits.)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- *Optional Sweetener* 1/4 teaspoon organic agave syrup, organic cane sugar, raw honey, or maple syrup.
- Mix all ingredients together in a ceramic mug
- Microwave on high for 1 minute (1.5 minutes if using frozen berries)
- Slide out of mug, and enjoy immediately (muffin will “firm up” the longer it sits)
- *Optional* Feed muffin to hungry toddler
Feel free to get creative, and add in some extra stuff, such as some shredded coconut, or chopped nuts. Frozen fruit is always a delicious option, as well as maybe some shredded zucchini or carrots for some hidden veggie fun with toddlers!
Photo Credits: The Memoirs of Megan