This article may include advertisements, paid product features, affiliate links and other forms of sponsorship.
Chiropractic care is a natural way to help your kids lead a healthier life. While medical care is excellent, especially for serious illnesses and injuries after they occur, you want to be as preventative as possible to keep injuries and illnesses from happening in the first place! One way is to get regular chiropractic adjustments for you and your little ones! Read on for reasons why you should choose chiropractic care for your kids, even when they are healthy!
- Regular chiropractic adjustments promote proper bone and nerve development. Your child’s bones, nerves and spinal cord are constantly making huge strides toward their final development. Spinal manipulations ensure that your child’s bones stay in proper alignment and their nerves and vertebrae are not pinched, interrupting connections from the spine to the rest of the body.
- Many childhood ailments can be aided when treated with chiropractic care. Granted, chiropractic care isn’t always the “cure” or final treatment for these conditions, but more often than not, spinal adjustments increase the overall well-being of children suffering from these ailments.
Studies are beginning to show that chiropractic can help children not only with typical back and neck pain complaints, but also with issues as varied as asthma, chronic ear infections, nursing difficulties, colic and bedwetting.1
- Is your newborn struggling with breastfeeding difficulties? Perhaps a subluxation in your little one’s neck is to blame. Start chiropractic care from your child’s first day of life to avoid any spinal or nervous system issues from the beginning.
- Often, your baby can’t let you know what is bothering him. He may be in pain but all he can do is cry and you don’t understand why. Have him checked out by a doctor of chiropractic and you may find that his neck is misaligned or he has a pinched nerve that is causing him discomfort. You may even find that your children’s Tylenol doesn’t get used quite as much when you begin regular chiropractic adjustments.
- Your kids learn from what you do. Start getting your own chiropractic adjustments and find how natural it is for your kids to enjoy seeing the doctor too! In fact, begin getting chiropractic care while pregnant to jumpstart your child’s development even while he is in the womb!
- Why should your baby begin getting spinal adjustments as soon as possible? “Baby’s first subluxation (vertebral misalignment) often occurs during the birth process, particularly if an emergency procedure is used, involving forceps, suction or vigorous, manual twisting of the baby’s head and neck. However, there is still a significant amount of force during even the easiest, most natural birth, which can cause a subluxation in the newborn. So, just as a complete physical examination should be performed, as soon after birth as possible, so too should a chiropractic examination, to find any spinal misalignments.”2
- You took prenatal vitamins, got regular checkups, avoided sushi and cold cuts, all in an attempt to give your baby the best headstart toward her mental and physical development. But what if, now that your baby has been born, those neural connections are interrupted?“Any misalgignment of the vertebra can put pressure on the nerve, or stretch or irritate the nerve, which will then impair its ability to transmit the proper messages. This would be like stepping on a water hose, you wouldn’t necessarily cut off all flow, but you will impair some, or most of the flow.
When the proper information is not efficiently being sent from brain to body, or from the body to the brain, then malfunction occurs. This will eventually lead to symptoms and ultimately to disease, if not corrected. A doctor of chiropractic is trained to find these areas of misalignment and gently correct them. The doctor may make the adjustment by hand or perhaps with an instrument to relieve the pressure or stress on the nerve, allowing full and normal flow of nerve impulses from the brain to all parts of the body and vice versa. Once the correction is made, often over the course of a few visits, the brain will return to communicating fully with the body and the body with the brain and will regain full, normal function.”2
1. ACA Today
2. Dr. Mark Grant, DC
Dr. Mark Grant is a Doctor of Chiropractic who practices in Atlanta, GA. He graduated from Life University with a doctoral degree in chiropractic medicine in 1988, and has owned his own practice for nearly 25 years. He has years of experience in treating patients using methods such as pediatric and adult chiropractic adjustments, nutrition and homeopathy.