For most of us, we join a gym with every intention of getting into shape and meeting fitness goals. Unfortunately many of us also fail to take advantage of our paid membership which results in frustration and wasted money month after month. When you’re looking for a gym, it’s important to join one that has the things you’re looking for in a gym and a gym that will keep you engaged throughout your fitness journey.
If you’re looking for an affordable gym with a ton of perks to help get you started, then Planet Fitness is the gym for you. With affordable monthly payments and two different plans to choose from on top of FREE personal training, a 30 minute circuit, massage beds, tanning beds and locker rooms with showers, you’re sure to fall in love with Planet Fitness.
Here are 5 ways to get the most out of your Planet Fitness Membership.
Would rather work out at home?
Build a home gym with these recommended equipment:
First, it’s important to understand that Planet Fitness offers two memberships that you can choose from. Whether you’re looking for a package that includes the bare minimum or a membership package that includes it all, one of the memberships is sure to work for you, your budget and your fitness goals. They offer the No Commitment Membership and Black Card Membership. If you’re looking to make some serious changes, both options offer great benefits, but the Black Card Membership offers a few benefits that are worth the extra $9.99.
- No Commitment Memberships are ideal for potential members who are seeking the bare minimum. They’re not interested in the extra perks that the Black Card has to offer. They plan on visiting the same gym and possibly may add in the free fitness training.
- Black Card Memberships are ideal for those potential members who want it all. Not only do they get the free t-shirt and unlimited fitness training, but they also get access to any franchise Planet Fitness location, unlimited use of the massage and tanning beds, 1/2 off cooler drinks as well as additional perks.
1. Free Fitness TrainingFitness training can be costly and because of that it can deter those that are really trying to get in shape from pursuing it. At Planet Fitness, fitness training is free. You can choose to work one-on-one with a trainer, or you can join a group of individuals in group training sessions. Either way, the personal trainer will work with you to accomplish your goals all while motivating you and developing a fitness plan suitable to you. Your personal trainer will write your fitness plan for you to save you time the same way an essay doer would.
- You get to be part of a group: It’s more fun to work out as part of a group than by yourself because those involved in the group may have similar fitness goals and similar hurdles to overcome. Additionally, the encouragement and support you gain from being part of the group fitness team is something that can’t be matched.
- You gain motivation while having fun: It’s natural that when working out alongside other individuals, it tends to bring out the competitive spirit in you. Not only does this serve as a great motivational tool to push you harder, longer and further, but when those challenges and goals are met, you share in the accomplishments with your team. It creates a sense of camaraderie which creates a fun environment for all those participating.
- Accountability: When you work out by yourself, there is no one to hold you accountable. The treadmill won’t know that you’ve skipped your night routine, but when you are in a group, they’ll help hold you accountable and keep you motivated. When you’re having a difficult time and start skipping classes, your group members will encourage you to get back into it! Oftentimes those that venture out to accomplish their fitness goals every January drop out after a few weeks because of the lack of accountability.
2. Open 24 Hours a DayRegardless of your work schedule, you now have zero excuses about not making it to the gym. Planet Fitness is open 24 hours a day! This is a huge incentive for those individuals whose schedule is unpredictable. Unlike other 24 hour gyms, there will be staff there to greet you and answer any questions you might have. Plus, their tanning and massage beds are also working around the clock. If you invest in the black card membership, remember that you’re able to stop into any Planet Fitness franchise location. As you can tell, there are plenty of options. In fact, there are over 1,000 locations throughout the United States, 6 in Ontario, Canada, 5 in Puerto Rico and one in the Dominican Republic.
3. No Intimidation Zone/Judgement Free ZonePlanet Fitness is well known for making their members feel comfortable by minimizing intimidation and judgement. They have a lunk alarm that goes off when someone drops a weight or if someone is acting like a lunk. The club defines a lunk as being ‘one who grunts, drops weights or judges‘ (Ricky is slamming his weights, wearing a body building tank top and drinking out of a water jug… what a lunk!). Planet Fitness truly makes it their mission to ensure their members feel comfortable, and they have been known to ask individuals to leave the club for judging or intimidating other members. Everyone should feel comfortable in their gym as they take on their fitness journey head-on.
4. Tanning, Massage and Locker RoomPlanet Fitness offers nice locker rooms for their member’s convenience. Showers, changing rooms and lockers are provided to ensure the safety of member’s items, privacy while changing and showers to help get them cleaned up following their workout. For Black Card Members, they have the hydromassage bed and seated massage chair at their disposal. Having the option of these massages are perfect after a tough workout! Though these massages may not be as great as hands-on massages through a massage therapist, they are much more cost-effective, included in the $19.99 Black Card Membership monthly membership.
5. 30 Minute Circuit/Ab and Stretching RoomPlanet Fitness also offers a 30 minute circuit for their members to follow. It’s a great system they offer to those who are pressed for time but want to achieve a solid workout.
Would rather work out at home?Build a home gym with these recommended equipment:
Photo credits: Silvan Hagen, Danielle JonesSources: Planet Fitness