This article may include advertisements, paid product features, affiliate links and other forms of sponsorship.
If you formula feed your baby, or plan to (or need to) in the near future, you’ll want to read this! If you’re a breastfeeding mama, but plan to introduce the bottle at some point, you’ll want to take note as well. When it comes to babies, there is so much gear and it can be confusing trying to choose what’s best for you and for your baby. Which bottles should you choose? How many do you need? How do you clean them? What else do you need to easily and comfortably feed your baby? Don’t worry–let us introduce you to the essentials for formula feeding and bottle feeding moms.
If your baby is exclusively bottle fed, you’ll need about 8 bottles. That way you don’t have to wash bottles several times a day (and night).
There are literally hundreds of different bottles out there and it’s tough to know which ones are best for your little. We adore Boob bottles by Joovy. From their sleek look, to their patented venting system, and their innovate insulator, both you and your baby will love using them.
First, and most importantly, Boob bottles are made of high quality materials. The fact that they are BPA, phthalate, and lead free means you can feel good about using this bottle because it isn’t made with harmful chemicals. The bottles also stand up to repeated sterilization, and they won’t absorb the color or odor of formula (or breast milk). And, each bottle is individually shrink-wrapped to keep them as sanitary as possible during the manufacturing process.
Let’s not forget about the look and feel of the Boob bottle! For moms, they’re super sleek and ergonomically designed to fit comfortably in your hand, so it’s a breeze to feed your baby. For babies, the silicone nipples are designed so that switching from breastfeeding to the Joovy Boob Bottle and back to the breast again is a seamless and natural process. And, the patented CleanFlow venting system works no matter how you hold the bottle so that your baby doesn’t swallow too much air.
If you ever plan to leave the house with your baby, the B.Box Essential bottle is a must-have. This bottle is the most innovative bottle for feeding on the go.
The base of the bottle has a special compartment for storing powder formula, eliminating the need to carry a separate formula carrier. We know space in your diaper bag is at a premium, so this feature is a lifesaver!
That’s not even the best part of the B.Box Essential bottle! Once you’ve filled the base compartment with powder formula, fill the bottle with water to the desired level. The bottle keeps the formula and powder separate until you need it. When you’re ready to feed the baby, push the plunger, dispensing the powder formula right into the water. Give the bottle a few shakes and you’re ready to feed! No messy dumping or measuring needed!
Choosing the right formula for your baby can be tricky. There are several different types on the market, like regular, gentle and soy. Be sure to talk to your pediatrician to see which one best fits the needs of your baby.
As for how much to feed your baby, again check with your pediatrician. Most recommend starting with just an ounce when babies are first born, and then increasing from there as they grow. As a general rule of thumb, offer between 2 and 2.5 ounces of formula for each pound of your baby’s weight throughout the day. So if your baby is 8 pounds, he or she should get anywhere from 16-20 ounces a day.
We know making bottles can be a chore, but that’s’ about to change. Gone are the days when you need to measure and mix the formula for your baby’s bottle, thanks to the Baby Brezza Formula Pro. It measures powder formula, mixes it with perfect temperature water and then dispenses it right into the bottle for you–so you have the perfect bottle every time!
The Baby Brezza Formula Pro works with every bottle type and every formula type and you can select the size bottle you want to make: 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10 ounces. Then, with just the touch of a button, the perfect bottle is made for your baby in seconds!
Drawing water from the reservoir, and powder formula from it’s holding place at the top of the machine, the two are mixed together and dispensed right into the bottle. Making bottles is quick, easy and mess free with Baby Brezza Formula Pro. Once you’ve used it, you’ll never want to make a bottle any other way.
Bottle Cleaning Supplies
Cleaning bottles is a time-consuming task, so make sure you have the right products to make it a little bit easier.
- First you’ll need a good bottle brush that can reach and clean every area of the bottle. We love this one by Oxo Tot for several reasons. The brush head has two types of bristles for thorough cleaning. Also it comes with a stand so that it stays germ free (you don’t want to leave it laying down in your sink with all those germs and then clean bottles with it!) and the bottom end has a built-in small brush for cleaning nipples.
- Formula (and breast milk) can leave a film on bottles, so it’s imperative that you use bottle soap that can cut through that film. But, you don’t want any harsh chemicals, so choose an organic cleaner. We love Dish Dazzler by BabyGanics. It’s made with plant based ingredients and is free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, toxins, mineral oil, petrolatum, nuts, gluten and artificial colors and fragrances.
- Once you’re done hand washing the bottles you’ll need a bottle rack to keep bottle parts organized and neat while they dry. The First Years Spinning Drying Rack is the best we’ve found.
- Don’t forget about the dishwasher! Most bottles are dishwasher safe, so be sure your dishwasher detergent is free from all those yucky chemicals too. Try BabyGanics Dish Dazzler Dishwashing Detergent.
- Lastly, you’ll want a dishwasher basket too, for nipples and smaller bottle parts. We like the Prince Lionheart Complete Dishwasher Basket System.
Burp Cloths & Bibs
Formula can stain clothes, so it’s best to always have a burp cloth close at hand when feeding your baby. Formula can sometimes leak out of the baby’s mouth while he’s eating or when he is being burped, so tuck a burp cloth underneath his chin or, when he’s a bit older, be sure to put a bib on him. And, sometimes babies spit up, and burp cloths will help you clean up any spills quickly. We love these muslin aden + anais burpy bibs because they’re super soft and absorbent, and also double as a bib!
Be sure to check out our post on Choosing The Best Formula For Your Infant.
Daily Mom does not provide medical advice. These tips are general guidelines for the average mother. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns or questions.
Photo Credits: The Quinntessential Mommy