Welcome to motherhood. On top of the spit-up, sleeplessness, and forgetting your own name may linger the occasional doubt in your milk supply volume. This lactation cookie recipe can help boost your supply (and boost your mood because who doesn’t love cookies?!).
It is a scary thing to feel like you are not adequately feeding your baby. No one wants to be in constant worry and milk enhancing products can be very expensive. So enjoy a lactation cookie, or three, to help increase your milk supply. This lactation cookie recipe has been tested by more mothers than you want advice from and is sure to help you on your breastfeeding journey.
The Ultimate Lactation Cookie Recipe Ingredients
These, what we like to call, “Milk Maker Lactation Cookies” are basically your favorite oatmeal cookie recipe, but with some special ingredients that help milk production. These ingredients are commonly used to help boost a nursing mother’s milk supply. Regular consumption has been found to help increase milk production. Here are some of the ingredients in the Milk Maker Lactation Cookie recipe that are included to really help boost that milk:
- Brewer’s Yeast— available in gluten-free and regular, so read the label carefully if you are worried about gluten.
- Flaxseed— is a fabulous source of protein and can be added to essentially anything. Flaxseed is also a wonderful milk increaser, so feel free to add it to anything else.
- Fenugreek— a very popular milk-producing supplement. The thing about Fenugreek that most lactation consultants won’t mention is that it can give baby gas if given in large amounts.
- Oatmeal– When eaten on a regular basis, oatmeal can be a great milk enhancer. It is always a good idea for new nursing mamas to eat oatmeal for breakfast. Oatmeal helps with your milk supply, helps to keep you regular, and is tummy friendly for both mom and baby.
The Milk Maker Lactation Cookie Recipe
Aside from the above ingredients, most of these are things you’ll have in the pantry already. Take a little time while baby naps—or pass them to a visiting friend, and you can whip these up in no time. Here are the rest of the ingredients for the lactation cookies.
We know the last thing you want to do right now while trying to figure out the nursing game, is to go food shopping. So consider grocery pickup or delivery of what you may need to get baking.
Milk Maker Lactation Cookie Recipe Ingredients
- 4 tbsp of water
- 2 tbsp of flaxseed meal
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups of flour (substitute oat flour if looking for gluten-free)
- 4 tbsp of Brewer’s Yeast
- 10 capsules of Fenugreek (open the capsules, dump the powder into the mixture and dispose of the casings)
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 3 cups of oats
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- If you prefer a little extra something, add 1 cup of raisins/chocolate chips/m&ms, etc.
Directions for Milk Maker Lactation Cookie Recipe
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a separate bowl combine your flaxseed and water. The flaxseed meal needs to swell and soak a bit, but not long about 10 to 15 minutes is plenty of time. In a bowl or mixer, combine the wet ingredients—butter, vanilla, eggs, and the flaxseed water mixture. Then add in the rest of the ingredients—the sugars, flour, oats, salt, baking soda, brewer’s yeast, and fenugreek powder. Don’t forget to add in your extra chocolate chips! Combine well on medium speed.
Then, with a cookie scoop or a spoon make dough mounds on your baking sheet. Place the cookies about an inch apart. Then bake for 10-13 minutes. The recommended daily dose is approximately five lactation cookies per day to fully see the benefits.
Consider making a few batches before baby’s arrival and freeze them so you don’t have to worry about tracking down ingredients later when you’re desperate. (You may also want to bake some and bring to a friend when she’s had a baby.) You’re doing great mama, keep up the good work and give yourself a cookie!
WANT TO READ MORE?
Check out 11 Nourishing Foods for Nursing Moms
CONNECT WITH DAILY MOM
💖 NEWSLETTER: DAILY READS IN YOUR INBOX 💖
Sign up to receive our picks for the best things to do, see and buy so you can relax and focus on more important tasks! Let us help you be the best version of yourself you can be!
BE SOCIAL WITH US
📌 LOVE IT? PIN IT!📌