The reasons why you need to eat breakfast are vast, but skipping breakfast continues to be a trend among fitness gurus and some who want to lose weight. Intermittent fasting, the act of not eating for 12-16 hours each day, has many not eating from after dinner through mid-morning. But breakfast really is the most important meal of the day.
Table of Contents
Advantages and Disadvantages of Breakfast
When it comes to health and wellness, there are many advantages as to why you need to eat breakfast. Eating breakfast can help kickstart your metabolism, provide your body with essential nutrients, and give you the energy you need to get through the day. Studies have shown that people who eat breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy weight. Breakfast also has been linked to improved concentration and productivity throughout the day.
Some argue the disadvantages to eating breakfast. Some find it difficult to eat first thing in the morning, as their appetite may not be awakened. And while breakfast can be beneficial for weight loss, it can be high in calories – if you are not careful. Eating high-calorie breakfast foods such as pancakes, waffles, pastries, and sugary cereals can lead to weight gain.
A study by Herbalife Nutrition found that 50 percent of people skip breakfast. The No. 1 reason: Time. Everyone is so rushed to get the kids out the door to school, and themselves off to work, that breakfast becomes less of a priority. There are countless reasons why you need to eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up to improve and maintain your health. It doesn’t have to be a big, elaborate breakfast – just something easy, simple, and enough to get your body what it needs throughout the day.
10 Reasons Why Breakfast is Important
- Eating breakfast helps you stay focused and improves concentration throughout the day.
- Eating breakfast can help you maintain a healthy weight as it kickstarts your metabolism and reduces cravings throughout the day.
- Breakfast is a great source of essential vitamins and minerals. Eating breakfast provides the body with the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
- Eating breakfast can help reduce the risk of certain diseases, such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
- Eating breakfast can help you manage your blood sugar levels.
- Eating breakfast can help reduce stress and anxiety levels.
- Eating breakfast can help boost your energy levels.
- Eating breakfast is essential to overall health and well-being.
- Eating a breakfast high in protein encourages healthy eating throughout the day.
- Eating breakfast as a family is a way to connect and start the day together.
The Herbalife Nutrition breakfast habit study questioned 8,000 people from the United States, China and Asia Pacific countries. Researchers found that when it comes to breakfast habits:
- 55 percent of respondents in the United States and 63 percent of respondents in Asia skip breakfast regularly.
- U.S. males consume breakfast more regularly than U.S. females, but is the opposite for those in the Asian countries.
- As people get older, they tend to eat breakfast more regularly with 50 percent of U.S. millennials eating breakfast regularly versus 63 percent of U.S. baby-boomers (APAC: 56 percent vs 74 percent; and China: 79 percent vs 84 percent).
- Respondents declared that lack of time was the main reason for skipping on breakfast, followed by lack of appetite and the idea that eating breakfast is too much work.
- Weight loss is the top reason people stated for not eating breakfast.
What are the Dangers of Intermittent Fasting?
For those with certain health conditions like heart disease and diabetes, not eating at regular intervals can be dangerous. For those who are trying to lose weight, fasting for long periods of time can backfire leading to over-eating because your body is so hungry. Skipping breakfast can lead to indulging on unhealthy foods. And for some people, their bodies go into survival mode, where their bodies hold on to the stored fat and calories because it does not know when it will get the sustenance it needs.
“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”
We have heard that line for decades, and in our heart of hearts we know that we should be consuming something to start our day. Chief health and nutrition officer of Herbalife Nutrition, Dr. John Agwunobi says, “Having a balanced breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up will help boost mood, provide adequate nutrients to the brain to aid in mental alertness, energy and stave off hunger throughout the day.”
The Herbalife Nutrition study found that most respondents do not eat breakfast due to lack of time. However, 90 percent of respondents said they would eat breakfast if they had easy, quick, take-along items that they could bring with them on the go.
“We strive to provide consumers with better options for convenient meals that will benefit their health,” said Ibi Montesino, Herbalife Nutrition, senior vice president, and managing director for the North America Region. “Through products like our Herbalife Nutrition Formula 1 Healthy Meal Nutritional Shake Mix, we give people a simpler path to proper nutrition with a balanced meal that’s a great option when they’re pressed for time.”
Nutrition and protein shakes like the Herbalife Nutrition Formula 1 Healthy Meal Nutritional Shake Mix check all the boxes as to why you need to eat breakfast. Each meal, according to their program philosophy should contain 40 percent carbohydrates, 30 percent protein, and 30 percent healthy fats.
A healthy breakfast, along with half your weight in ounces of water (usually about 8 glasses), plus 25 grams of fiber per day will put you on the right track for a healthy lifestyle. Breakfast can help get you started with hitting those goals. A simple scrambled egg with avocado slices and a Herbalife Nutrition Formula 1 Healthy Meal Nutritional Shake Mix will boost your metabolism and make you a more productive and healthier individual.
What happens if you don’t eat breakfast?
Skipping breakfast can cause a decrease in energy levels throughout the day, which can lead to decreased productivity. Skipping breakfast can lead to unhealthy snack choices later in the day, as your body craves foods that it needs to get the energy it was missing out on.
What is the most important meal of the day?
Breakfast is often touted as the most important meal of the day because it helps kick-start the body’s metabolism and provides essential nutrients. Studies have found that skipping breakfast may lead to an increased risk of obesity, diabetes, and other chronic illnesses.
What are the reasons why you need to eat breakfast?
That first meal of the day is worth setting the alarm. Here are 5 reasons why breakfast is important:
1. Eating breakfast can help jumpstart your metabolism. Eating a healthy breakfast helps regulate your blood sugar and insulin levels, which can keep your energy levels high and prevent cravings.
2. Eating a balanced breakfast can help provide your body with the nutrients it needs.
3. Eating breakfast can help reduce your risk of developing chronic diseases. Studies have shown that those who eat breakfast have a lower risk of developing conditions such as high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
4. Eating breakfast can help improve your cognitive performance, which means that those who eat breakfast tend to have better concentration, memory, and overall alertness.
5. Eating breakfast can help you stay on track with your weight loss goals.
Why you shouldn’t skip breakfast?
Skipping breakfast can have a variety of negative effects on the body including feelings of hunger and fatigue. It can also lead to unhealthy eating choices later in the day. Skipping breakfast also has been linked to an increased risk of obesity, high blood pressure, and other chronic health conditions. Skipping breakfast can even impact your energy levels, mood, and physical performance throughout the day.
When it comes to health and wellness, there are many reasons why you need to eat breakfast each day. Eating breakfast can help to kickstart your metabolism, provide your body with essential nutrients, and give you the energy you need to get through the day. When you start the day with a healthy breakfast, you set the example for your children.
The importance of breakfast for students knows no bounds. Students who start the day with a healthy breakfast typically perform better in school because they have more energy and better attention for classwork. Start the day on the right foot with breakfast. Set your children up with good habits for a lifetime. It’s worth the extra effort for you and your family to show them why you need to eat breakfast each and every day.
💖 NEWSLETTER: DAILY READS IN YOUR INBOX 💖
Sign up to receive our picks for the best things to do, see and buy so you can relax and focus on more important tasks! Let us help you be the best version of yourself you can be!