This article may include advertisements, paid product features, affiliate links and other forms of sponsorship.
It’s that time to stock up on school supplies once again! Just because your child’s teacher gives you a recommended supply list doesn’t mean you can’t “go green” in what you purchase. Take the time to explore your options for planet-friendly school supplies that provide a non-toxic experience for your child. Here are our picks for some of the best green school supplies out there.
Benefits of Buying “Green” School Supplies
for Your Children
- Help lessen adverse environmental impact.
- They last longer than those made from cheap materials that are a detriment to the environment.
- Decrease your child’s contact with toxic materials.
- Provides an opportunity to educate your child about the environment
- 1. Lassig Mini Backpack
The Lassig company prides itself on sustainable manufacturing using non-toxic and environmentally friendly materials, many of which are recycled and organic. This backpack is free of PVC, azo dyes, phthalates, nickel and cadmium.
- 2. EcoGear EcoZoo Kids Backpack
This cotton backpack comes in a variety of fun animal shapes. Made using non-toxic dyes and recycled plastic components.
- 3. Beatrix New York Backpack
Isn’t it adorable? These backpacks come in 10 different designs ranging from a robot to a lady bug to an owl. Not to mention, they are PVC free, lead free, phthalate free & BPA free.
- 4. EcoGear Glacier Backpack
This attractive and sustainable backpack is made from recycled water bottles!
- 1. Laptop Lunches Bento Lunch Box
With bento lunches all the rage these days, it’s hard to pass up a cute (and eco-friendly) bento box! These come in a variety of bright, fun colors and are made in the USA using high quality materials free of lead, BPA, phthalates, and PVC.
- 2. Klean Kanteen Kids Stainless Steel Bottle
Made from food-grade stainless steel, this drink holder doesn’t contain BPA, phthalates or other toxins. It also comes in a variety of fun color combinations!
- 3. Eco Vessel Scout Kids Stainless Steel Water Bottle With Flip Straw
This BPA-free, stainless steel water bottle is made from 100% recyclable materials and comes in a variety of adorable designs.
- 4. Bumkins Lunch and Snack Bags
Fully insulated, Lead free, PVC free, BPA free, Phthalates free, and Vinyl free. Not to mention the many cute designs available!
- 5. To-Go Ware Bamboo Utensil Set
This portable flatware set flattens down for storage and is made of highly durable bamboo and is free from any harmful petrochemicals (found in throwaway plastic cutlery). Comes in a handy recycled PET carrying case.
- 6. Smart Planet Eco Silicone Collapsible Lunch Box
This clever 3-compartment lunch box is made from BPA-free, food grade silicone and biodegradable eco-plastic. It also comes with a 2-sided spork that snaps into the lid!
- 1. TNF EcoProducts Banana Paper Notebooks
These bleach-free, acid-free notebooks are made from 80% post-consumer waste and 20% banana leaf fibers.
- 2. C-Line 2-Pocket Recycled Portfolios
Made from recycled paper, these portfolios are perfect for bringing home all of that school work!
- 3. New Leaf Basic 100% Recycled Filler Paper
Made from 100% recycled materials with 40% post-consumer waste, New Leaf paper is also certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
- 4. Greenroom Recycled Spiral Metallic Notebooks
Available from Target, these fun, metallic printed notebooks are made from recycled paper.
- 1. Dixon Ticonderoga EnviroStiks Natural Wood #2 Pencils
These classic #2 pencils are made from reforested natural wood and feature a smooth-writing graphite core. They are also PMA certified non-toxic.
- 2. Coccoina Glue Stick
Not only is this glue stick non-toxic, non-solvent, and acid-free, but it smells amazing (like marzipan, an almond based confection)!
- 3. Terracycle Upcycled Pencil Case
Now this is a conversation starter! This pencil case is made from old Capri Sun or Koolaid drink pouches.
- 4. Westcott KleenEarth Recycled Kids Scissors
Made from 70% recycled plastic and infused with Microban anti-microbial protection. Not to mention, they’re adorable!
- 5. Green Apple Recycled Ruler
This ruler is made in the USA from recycled Yellow Pages phone books and recycled plastic. How cool is that!?
- 6. International Arrivals Natural Beeswax Crayons
Twenty-four non-toxic crayons made from beeswax.