This article may include advertisements, paid product features, affiliate links and other forms of sponsorship.
Do you have to drag yourself out of bed each morning? Does it take you 2+ cups of coffee to wake up and feel like a productive human being? Is your morning routine a sluggish one? If you’re nodding your head in approval of those questions, then this post is the one for you! Read on to learn about 5 healthy ways to jumpstart your day!
1. Forget about the snooze button
- Setting the snooze button may make you feel like you’re getting more sleep, but what you’re actually doing is making it harder to fully wake up. If you do manage to drift back into a light sleep, you’re putting your brain back into a beginning sleep level – and that’s the worst one to wake up in. On the flip side, waking up too suddenly sends the brain into sleep inertia, which is basically that period of time between fully waking up and sleeping, where one feels groggy.
- So how can you avoid feeling sleepy in the mornings? Studies have shown that preparing your body for slumber around sunset will allow your body to fall into the rhythm of waking up at sunrise naturally. Instead of staying awake and binge watching Netflix after the kids go to sleep (No judgement here! We’re all guilty!) consider taking a warm shower and then settling in with a good book. The faster you fall asleep, the earlier you’ll willingly wake up!
2. Don’t forget to stretch
One of the best ways to jumpstart your day is to take a few minutes (less than 10!) and build in some time for stretching your body each morning during your morning routine. Focusing on your breathing and gently stretching your weary muscles will leave you feeling warmed up, and ready to tackle the day with gusto.
3. Run (literally) on empty
- A study in the British Journal of Nutrition found that working out before breakfast burns nearly 20 percent more fat than waiting until after your first meal. The study was small and conducted on men, but as lead researcher Javier Gonzalez points out, “Women burn more fat during exercise, so it’s possible they could see an even greater fat-burning benefit by working out before breakfast.” When you exercise on an empty stomach, your body is burning stored fat, rather than the carbohydrates ingested with food. If possible, catch a workout in the morning. Not only will you burn more fat, you’ll get your blood pumping, and create some endorphins that will make you feel awake and energized.
- Don’t forget to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water!
4. Don’t skip breakfast
We all have heard billions of times that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, however, it’s also the most often skipped. (And coffee isn’t a good substitute!) If you don’t have sufficient time in the morning to cook a hot breakfast, consider whipping up a large batch of these Pumpkin Cranberry Overnight Oats to keep in the fridge. They are also great for “on-the-go!”
5. Effectively manage your time from the beginning
We know that being a mom isn’t for the weak. Whether you’re a stay at home mom, work from home mom, or work outside of the home mom, it’s important to manage your time effectively and efficiently, to prevent falling behind, and/or feeling rushed or frazzled. When you have a productive day, you tend to automatically feel better, and more confident in your abilities. It also tends to wear you out (physically and emotionally) so you’ll be ready to fall into bed at a reasonable hour. And going to bed at a reasonable hour ensures that you’ll be ready to hit the ground running the next morning!
Starting your day feeling refreshed and nourished is the best way to make yourself healthy, both physically and mentally. Tell us in the comments: What are your favorite tips for establishing a strong morning routine?
This is a sponsored conversation written by Daily Mom on behalf of WhiteWave Foods. The opinions and text are all ours.