Image courtesy of [kraifreedom] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
There are so many simple changes we can make that will have a great impact on the enviornment. The following are 5 easy actions to keep in mind the next time you step out the door, each making our world a little greener.
Before You Leave
1. Stop idling your car. Starting your car long before you need to use it wastes so much gas (and money!). If your car is frosted over throw some hot water over your windows right before you leave and bundle up (using this can also help with those frosted windows). Plan an errand to run on your way after work so you don’t have to sit in rush hour traffic and waste your gas going nowhere.
Once You’re Out
2. Combine your errands. Think ahead of time of where you need to go and what you need to do that week and get as much done as you can in one outing.
3. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. If you are capable of climbing the stairs don’t waste to energy to have an elevator do it. It’s good for the planet and good for your waistline.
At the Store
4. Take the hangers back to your dry-cleaners. Ideally you would be using either no dry-cleaner or an Eco friendly one but whatever your case may be there is no need to keep the hangers unless, of course, you are actually going to use them. However, most of us already have all the hangers we need so why take up the extra space in your closet or in a landfill?
5. Invest in a few reusable shopping bags. Keep a couple in your trunk that way you will never forget to have some with you. Using these bags saves on the energy needed to make countless plastic bags, and landfill space since that’s where they usually end up. Remember, these bags can be used at places other than the grocery, take them to the mall or anywhere else you would get a disposable bag. If you do forget to take them with you, don’t beat yourself up just remember to recycle whatever bag the store gave you.