Packing a diaper bag full of necessary gear for one child can be a daunting task. Adding in all the must-have items for a new baby on top of that can be a stressful and seam-ripping task in some diaper bags. Read on to learn all about some tips and tricks for getting everything you need for two kids (plus some extra items!) to fit, and look stylish while doing-so.
Tips & Tricks:
Between making sure that your older toddler has enough snacks, and your infant has a few outfit changes for the inevitable messy diaper changes, your diaper bag may be looking a bit unorganized, as well as appearing jam-packed. If your bag is bursting at the seams and impossible to locate anything in, you’ll love these tips we have for you, as well as some amazing products that will save you time and effort, which is something that all mommies need.
- The biggest tip we can give you is to keep everything separate and compact. You can accomplish this by using two quart sized ziplock bags labeled with your children’s name on each one, or for the greener mom, two small “On the Go” sized wetbags, like these from Kushies. (They are even sold in a two-pack!)
- In each bag, place your child’s spare outfit, enough diapers to last you the duration of your outing, and some wipes. Keeping each child’s things stored separately will allow you to quickly grab their labeled bag and have everything you need for their diaper changing. Whether your two year old may need a pair of backup pullups or underpants, or your infant needs a spare onesie, these items will be easy to grab, and won’t have you digging around in your diaper bag pulling out a size five diaper when you’re searching for a size one.
- If you have a small child that you’re nursing, and wish to do so discreetly, we suggest the Poncho Baby Nursing Cover from Poncho Baby. It allows you to see your child while they are nursing, while also providing both front and back coverage. This is perfect for the Mom-on-the-go of two children, because you may find yourself nursing your littlest, while chasing after your biggest.
- If you are cloth diapering, you may not be able to fit more than two diapers in a smaller wetbag, or quart sized plastic bag. If that’s the case, consider only packing 2 (max) in the bag, and leaving a few stashed away in a backseat car organizer.
- You may also consider leaving your diaper bag in your car all the time when you’re at home. That way, it will be one less item to have to gather up on your way out the door.
- Having a removable clutch that fits inside your diaper bag will allow you to grab your wallet and phone easily to take them indoors.
- Make sure you regularly check the items in your diaper bag, especially when your little ones advance in either diaper or clothing sizes. There is nothing like having an emergency and trying to cram a newborn sized diaper onto your four month old.
Items to pack in your infant’s bag:
- Nursing Cover (We love Poncho Baby Nursing Cover )
- Two Pacifiers & Pacifier Wipes
- 4 diapers
- Wipes (Don’t forget your Re-Usable Wipe Dispenser )
- One change of clothing
- One Burpy Bib
Items to pack in your toddler’s bag:
A Perfect Diaper Bag For 2:
While packing everything inside is important, having the right back to accommodate it is even more so. It’s true that as your children grow up you won’t need to pack as many things for them, and maybe only a couple diapers will suffice, however, that same child may need new items that will take up space, such as snacks, or some entertainment. That’s why we love the timi & leslie Convertible Charlie Diaper Bag.
We know that there are some sketchy chemicals in many diaper bags on the market today. (To learn more, check out this post on Is Your Diaper Bag Poisoning Your Child?) You can rest easy that timi & leslie uses only the highest quality vegan, faux leather that is PVC free.
The Convertible Charlie diaper bag is truly convertible, because once you are done using it like a diaper bag, you are left with a stylish bag perfect for any outing such as an overnight trip, or a chic briefcase that will hold your laptop as well as anything else needed for a day at the office. The Charlie bag is very large for a diaper bag- argumentatively one of the biggest on the market today at 17″ tall and 15″ wide.
The timi & leslie Convertible Charlie bag also comes with the following accessories, sure to make your job easier:
- A cross body, adjustable detachable strap so you can wear it hands free whenever you need to.
- Specially designed changing pad with front mesh pocket where you can store your diapers, wipes, and creams.
- A zippered sack to store soiled clothing.
- A stylish clutch you can use as your purse with a zippered top, and interior credit card holders. This is especially handy to grab on-the-go, in case you only need your wallet, phone and keys and don’t wish to carry around a full diaper bag on your solo mom outing.
- An insulated bottle tote to keep bottles or sippy cups cool and spill-free.
- Matching stroller straps so you can hang your bag from your stroller handlebar.
- Water resistant and light colored interior so you can see everything easier.
- Two exterior pockets.
- Six interior pockets, including one large sized one for the diaper changing pad.
- Interior key fob to attach your keys to (no digging around on the bottom of your bag!)
We love all the stylish designs that timi & leslie has to offer this Spring. Take a look at some of our favorites.
When speaking of your older child, it’s pretty much a given that if you’re going to be away from the house for any amount of time, they are going to be requesting snacks. That’s why we adore these reusable, glass, eco-friendly and non-toxic snack cubes from Wean Green.
They are made out of tempered glass, and are 5 times stronger than regular glass, and they also do not contain the yucky chemicals that disposable plastic containers may boast. Throwing a couple Wean Green snack cubes in your diaper bag is a breeze, and you know they are high in quality, as well as style.
Safeguarding Your Camera:
Are you a Mom-tographer and love carrying your DSLR along with you wherever you go- yet hate the added bulk and inconvenience of a camera bag? We adore these stylish protective camera sleeves by Camera Coats. As we learned in this post about 4 Tips for Improving Your Photography Using the Camera You Have, one of the best ways to have noticeably better photos over time is through practice, and carrying your camera every where.
Camera Coats are padded, and water resistant, offering supreme diaper bag protection for your camera. You won’t have to worry about a sippy cup leaking and ruining your camera when it’s protected in a Camera Coat. The thing we love about them is that they don’t take up tons of space in your diaper bag, and can easily fit into the timi & leslie Charlie bag, along with the bottle cooler, purse clutch, and personalized bags made up for the children- with room to spare! Most of the Camera Coats have gorgeous camera straps to match, and all the Camera Coats attach to the strap for portability, as well as offer a pocket for your lens cap. There is a Camera Coat to fit every SLR camera, and every person’s unique style.
With just a little bit of extra planning, teamed with the right gear, packing a diaper bag for your two children will be an easy task. Your children will appreciate the fresh air and change of scenery, and you’ll be glad that you can look like a stylish and organized supermom. It won’t be long that your playgroup friends will be following suit and organizing their diaper bags similarly. Now that you’re all packed up- celebrate with your children by Finding Fun Activities for Mother and Child.
Photo Credits: The Memoirs of Megan