Celebrate fall and a healthy, bountiful autumn fruit: the apple! This super-easy apple cake is a version of a Russian dessert, sharlotka. It is quick, easy, absolutely delicious and free of oil and butter. Pair it with tea on a crisp fall day. Simple to make but not short on taste, this recipe is a sure hit with adults and kids alike!
You will need:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 Eggs
- 6 Apples
- Peel and core the apples, slice them thinly and layer the bottom of a greased pie dish or Bundt cake pan with them.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and sugar together.
- Add in the flour and baking powder and mix well, then pour the mixture over the apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the apples appear a light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and cool for ten minutes.
- Gently turn over and release from the cake from pie plate so it's apple-side up.
Serve warm or room temperature. Enjoy!