Flowers, chocolates, massages, and brunches are all big-ticket winners for Mother’s Day, but if you are hoping to give Mom a gift with a truly personal touch, homemade is definitely the way to go. Before you reach for the box of macaroni, check out these homemade gifts for Mom that she is sure to love!
Read More: Unique and Thoughtful Gifts for Mom
Homemade Gifts For Mom: Pampering
Mom works hard, so giving her a moment to catch her breath and relax is a priceless gift, and making something for her isn’t as hard as you may think. You may already have the ingredients you need waiting for you in the kitchen.
- Homemade sugar scrub exfoliates and moisturizes by getting rid of dead skin cells and revealing baby-soft skin underneath. An added bonus is putting it in a pretty container, like a mason jar (try these!) with a handwritten note attached with twine.
- Homemade face masks are gentle on the skin, and help Mom to relax after a long day of being a superhero. There are lots of amazing options out there, but if you really want to impress her, check out these recipes for cooling masks! She is sure be deep in blissful relaxation within minutes of applying.
- While her body is feeling pampered, her mind and soul may enjoy a bit of a respite from the busyness of life. Podcasts are a great way to access lots of information at the push of a button, and lucky for Mom, so is relaxation! Meditation podcasts give our minds and souls a break just by reaching into our pockets/purses and putting on some headphones. Give Mom the gift of a meditation podcast and you will be giving her the ultimate gift of peace.
Homemade Gifts For Mom: Next-Level Arts And Crafts
You could hot glue some macaroni to a piece of cardboard and give Mom a homemade frame this Mother’s Day, or you could put on your big-kid britches and get to work. These crafts will be sure to show Mom how much you care.
- Does your Mom have a favorite photo of the two of you? This is a great time to give her the gift of that photo on canvas. This does not mean that you will take it downtown and have the store do it, but it does mean that you are going to get your hands dirty! Making a photo transfer of her favorite photo onto canvas is as simple as a trip to your local craft store, printing out a picture with your printer at home, and 24 hours to let it dry.
- Thanks to Chip and Joanna, the popularity of shiplap has come back in full force. Creating a shiplap sign for Mom requires a bit of craftsmanship, but if you know your measurements, your local hardware store will likely cut your shiplap for you upon purchase. A handmade shiplap sign for Mom’s kitchen or dining room will be a permanent reminder of your love for her, and that you’re only a phone call away if she needs help fixing anything around the house.
- Let’s face it, the last time you painted your mother a picture, it was probably painted with your fingers and you still had your baby teeth. Painting parties have emerged as a popular social activity, and filling ones home with personally created pieces of art is common practice now. Why not paint Mom a picture? The internet is filled with resources to help you get started, and as long as you have the patience and time to let it dry, you could give your Mom with a one-of-a-kind painting made by her favorite artist-you!
Read More: DIY Homemade Holiday Jewelry
Homemade Gifts For Mom: Food
While the idea of bottomless mimosas is enticing, even brunch at a fancy restaurant cannot compare with a home-cooked meal, especially if it was cooked with love. Instead of just making a pot of spaghetti or grilling up a hamburger, create a menu that is all about Mom. Ask questions, like:
- What were you craving before I was born/arrived?
- What was your favorite meal to eat when I was little?
- What is your favorite dessert?
- What is something you love, but haven’t indulged in lately?
- What is your favorite wine/beverage?
- Do you enjoy music with dinner?
Making dinner at home gives many opportunities to be sincere and creative. Things to take into consideration are:
- The environment: Where will this dinner take place? What will her view be? Will she have to get up and refill her own glass? If we are outdoors, will pests be an issue?
- The menu: Appetizers, the main course, side dishes, and even dessert. So many opportunities to learn!
- The lighting: Will it be candlelit? Does she prefer full lights? If we are eating outdoors, will she be able to see her plate?
Perfecting the menu expresses thoughtfulness and creativity, and these homemade gifts for Mom will make her feel special and appreciated.
Whether you make a loaf of bread or a gourmet burger, a sugar scrub or an at-home day spa, any gift given with thoughtfulness and love is sure to make your Mother feel the love this Mother’s Day.
WANT TO READ MORE?
Photo Credit: Pixabay Unsplash